[Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage

/ [Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage #11  
Keep clutch pedal depressed. Gas petcock open. Ignition on. 4th gear. Have someone push tractor (not pull) to start. Drive up a hill or just drive around and see if clutch disc breaks free (all the while keeping clutch pedal depressed). Occasional braking while keeping throttle open might help also.

I tried all of this (except we used about 30' of chain & just popped it out of gear real quick when it started). Tried stomping on the brakes (with throttle wide open) to the point where she almost stalls, going up some hills, etc.. I wish we'd tried pulling something with it (like the IH544) to put some real strain on it.

I explained Soundguy's method to my dad just a moment ago over the phone. He's gonna try that tomorrow. He's been retired for 6 months and bored out of his mind. That was the main reason for dragging the old 8N out in the 1st place!

/ [Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage #12  
if that don't work, you can add a pto load like a mower, and engage the pto, the bumping over with the extra stress canhelp pop it free.

soundguy

/ [Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage #13  
I talked to my dad last night. He was able to start it for the 1st time using the starter, so it must be running better now. He took it for a good long spin knowing that he could start it back up with the starter if it stalled. He said the clutch popped free when he cranked on the right brake.

/ [Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage #14  
good to hear.

soundguy