Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #221  
quick update, I got the solenoid working. It was not fastened and secure enough to the starter so I did not have a ground. I tightened it up and it worked.

I pulled a spark plug wire, hooked it up to it to the old spark plug, and there was no spark. Is there a way to to test the whole distributor with coil and points off of the tractor? Say on a bench? Would I just need 12 volt power?

um.. still grasping here.

that wasn't your solenoid problem.

the solenoid does not ground thru the mount to the starter.. it grounds thru the thumb switch on the tranny.

use a test lamp from bat to top of coil and roll engine over.. lamp should blink.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
OK, back inside.

-- Solenoid is working and the engine is starting trying to ignite (but does not). It starts strong -- so this is off the table.

-- I hooked a spot light to the battery and to the top of the coil. With the key on the light shines and when trying to start it does pulse some not on/off but it dims and brightens.

img20130308194410.jpg

img20130308194421.jpg

-- I took off the spark plugs and had my wife (pregnant with our 4th and cold!) push the starter button . No spark at the plugs.

-- Took off the distributor cap and watched for any slight spark to the points -- no spark. It is pitch black outside and I turned off my flashlight -- I figured I should see something.

^^^ this looks to be the main problem -- no spark at the points. Looks like the issue is between the condenser and the points. I have the distributor inside to inspect it. At first glance I have confirmed that there is a 0.15 gap on the points from all 4 lobes. I am going to **replace the condenser and** adjust where the coil meets the "bubba'd" piece of copper that connects the breaker plate to the points.

***I read somewhere that testing the condenser means putting one lead on the condenser pigtail and the other off the body of the distributor -- and the voltage should increase because it is being charged by the small battery in the voltmeter. When you put the other lead on the body of the distributor it should go to 0.00 volts. This is happening to me... so it sounds like the condenser is working.

Last edited:
   / Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #223  
wow.

so far you did none of the tests I told you.

I said use a test lamp from battery to coil, and turn engien over.

I didn't say key on.. and I didn't say use a spotlamp.

as for a condensor.

if you have an analog meter it's easy.. set to ohmx1 scale. short pigtail to case.. plac the leads across the pigtail and case... needle will swing low to infinite as the cap charges.

a digital will do it too.. just read differently

ps.. gap is .015 not .15 that may be your problem.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Soundguy -- I saw your test idea after I had already done my tests. I followed this gentleman's advice...

...take a high amperage (headlamp /fog lamp) & check for power at the coil instead of your volt meter. Volt meter shows voltage but not amperage, in case there is a corroded connection/wire between ignition switch &coil...

I will try with the spotlight again with the key off.

Gap is .015 -- sorry, another mistype.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #225  
Too many cooks in the kitchen, follow Sound Guy's advise and make him your head cook.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #226  
With it turning over now.. we are at least getting somewhere.

we now need to see if points open and close electrically. if they do.. with condensor in circuit. then it should make spark.. IF the coil is good. and if it is getting power and if all the right parts are touching when the coil is on.
:)

It looks like the coil may not have been fully seated on the bubba'd piece of copper. I bent it around a little and it should be fully engaged now. I am heading back out now to pop it on. Wish me luck.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #228  
post back.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #229  
Now were talking.:D

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #230  
It looks like the coil may not have been fully seated on the bubba'd piece of copper. I bent it around a little and it should be fully engaged now. I am heading back out now to pop it on. Wish me luck.

fingers crossed.