Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
I stopped by Walmart and Meier yesterday on family errands but neither had a test lamp. I called a semi-local tractor place and they can order a new breaker plate and have it in by Wednesday I believe. I am going to follow y'alls advice and buy a new one. It may be a waste of time to try and fix/test with the already broken breaker plate.

I did get a name of a fellow who fixes old tractors like these in the area and will travel out to my place. I will give I'm a ring to see if he has a breaker plate on hand.

I will let you all know what comes of all of this. Thanks for the help!

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #242  
(farmiliar with the area)did you try l&m fleet

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #243  
Do you have a sears?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #244  
I stopped by Walmart and Meier yesterday on family errands but neither had a test lamp. I called a semi-local tractor place and they can order a new breaker plate and have it in by Wednesday I believe. I am going to follow y'alls advice and buy a new one. It may be a waste of time to try and fix/test with the already broken breaker plate.

I did get a name of a fellow who fixes old tractors like these in the area and will travel out to my place. I will give I'm a ring to see if he has a breaker plate on hand.

I will let you all know what comes of all of this. Thanks for the help!

That sounds like a good idea , especially after looking at the picture you posted, the insulator for the points connection is very compressed and dare I say distorted looking, if the insulator has failed, it could result in grounding the switching side of the points which would also tie the condenser and the coils primary to ground, basically like never letting the points open. Continue to follow Soundguys advice. Also looking at another photo- behind the dash, Is that battery cable the main - negative from the battery? If it is, it has been terminated to sheet metal that's a lot of current to run thru painted tin when cranking the engine over, . I would suggest cleaning a spot on the engine block and bolting it there then running a 10 gauge or so stranded wire to the location (sheet metal) the large ground cable was terminated. If I misinterpreted the photo of that cable or you have another large ground already run from battery - to the engine block sorry, just trying to help..

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
(farmiliar with the area)did you try l&m fleet
No, those are in Grand Rapids Minnesota -- I am close to Grand Rapids Michigan.

Do you have a sears?
Only the small ones they have in strip malls -- but there is one nearby. I bet I could find a test lamp at one of the local auto parts near my work.

Also looking at another photo- behind the dash, Is that battery cable the main - negative from the battery? If it is, it has been terminated to sheet metal that's a lot of current to run thru painted tin when cranking the engine over, . I would suggest cleaning a spot on the engine block and bolting it there then running a 10 gauge or so stranded wire to the location (sheet metal) the large ground cable was terminated.
Yes, that is the only ground. Thanks for the heads up -- I will try to ground to the engine block like it was supposed to be.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #246  
steering box is fine too.. closer.. etc..

Got a breaker plate on order from a semi-local New Holland dealer. Should be here by Wednesday or so -- I probably won't be able to go there to pick it up until Thursday or Friday.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #248  
keep us posted.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #249  
sorry just assumed it was mn

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #250  
Got a breaker plate on order from a semi-local New Holland dealer. Should be here by Wednesday or so -- I probably won't be able to go there to pick it up until Thursday or Friday.

Good, that should make it a lot more reliable.