Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #551  
Hey PorkChops haven't heard from you in awhile, how's the 8N running?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #552  
I just unburied this thread to see how this turned out. Well?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Hey guys! Working well. The miss is near gone... I think it may even go mostly away when warm. I let a 75 year old neighbor borrow it last weekend while I was out of town and he ran it hard for 3 days. She worked great for him and is still working great for me. Here are some pictures of using it just this weekend to put in fencing -- really just using the carry all. Despite all of her problems she has always had strong hydraulics (I also changed the fluid this past Fall to get any water out). I've had it parked for 2 days using the carry all as a work bench -- hasn't dropped perceptively at all.

img20130518145457.jpg

img20130519172852.jpg

Almost forgot -- I pulled a stump with it last week, too. It took quite a few pulls but she came out.
img20130513190931.jpg

img20130513191337.jpg

I think this chapter is closed on the tractor for now. I still need to wire up the alternator -- I think I will do that and replace the wiring harness when I paint the tractor later this summer. I won't be doing a full rebuild or anything, just trying to clean her up a bit.

Thanks again for all of the help -- I feel like I learned tons of info and can speak intelligently about how to fix a carb'd tractor with points.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #554  
Glad to hear it. Enjoy.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #555  
Just bought a Ford 8N and am in way over my head... Wish I could go back in time...
Anyway, same problem as the original poster but I know nothing about tractors so off to buy some books...

Hello from the great white north...

RF

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #556  
Just bought a Ford 8N and am in way over my head... Wish I could go back in time...
Anyway, same problem as the original poster but I know nothing about tractors so off to buy some books...

Hello from the great white north...

RF

Welcome. i see you are a new poster. If you are having dome problems with your machine go ahead and start a new thread and lets get working on it.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #557  
An interesting and fascinating read! Also a little scary given my current situation with a 52 8N...and I have just started the process of getting it started! I was given the tractor when I bought my father in laws house. It had run fine up until a year ago (maybe a bit more). Unfortunately, a neighbour figured it wouldn't start because of the carb, so he took the carb off, dismantled the thing, got confused and promptly gave up! I did clean it and rebuild it with a kit, but the couldn't find much in the way of directions so wasn't any farther ahead. I ended up buying a new one and installing it. Replaced the battery, changed the oil, replaced the sediment bowl assembly (cleaned out the tank first), put in new spark plugs and figured I would be good to go. Turned over great but wouldn't fire. I figured the next place to look was the points but won't have a chance to get back to it for a couple of weeks as I also have a boat to deal with that needs to be hauled out soon. Anyway, great thread and the information in here will no doubt be a big help!

Dave

Last edited:
   / Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #558  
good luck!

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #559  
Hello, I'm new here. I had to join after reading this thread. I have a 49 8N and am having a problem getting it to start. I bought a new coil and points last week but still cant get a start. Almost but just wont. So I done a Google search and found this sight. Very Impressed.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #560  
Hello, I'm new here. I had to join after reading this thread. I have a 49 8N and am having a problem getting it to start. I bought a new coil and points last week but still cant get a start. Almost but just wont. So I done a Google search and found this sight. Very Impressed.

Find out if you have spark at the plugs by pulling each one and grounding it and looking for spark.

If you have a good spark, then check fuel. Clean fuel needed. Check that screens aren't plugged. If fuel is flowing and fresh, then may need to clean and or rebuild the carb. These are pretty simple machines. Need air spark and fuel.

Edit to add: I suppose you could have a compression problem. You might need to investigate that. But I think I would check the other stuff first.