Ford Jubilee Live PTO ?

/ Ford Jubilee Live PTO ? #1  

kubota nut

Tractor
l39,B21,BX24,b7100, l2800
I've just purchased a 1953 Ford Jubilee for $1800. Runs good, has some oil leaks, almost sure it needs.a a front seal replaced. Does anyone know exactly what is a live PTO on a jubilee model.

/ Ford Jubilee Live PTO ? #2  
It doesn't have a live pto. You will need an overrun clutch on equipment such as a rotary mower or the mower will push you forward. A live pto is the same on any tractor. That is a tough tractor, I had one for years. Without a live pto the mower will act as a flywheel and turn the pto shaft. This will turn the rear wheels and continue to move the tractor until the mower rpm is 0. The overrun clutch only clutches in one direction. With it installed the flywheel action of the mower does not affect the tractor. It is able to freewheel. This is probably not the best explanation on record but hopefully understandable.

/ Ford Jubilee Live PTO ? #3  
It doesn't have a live pto. You will need an overrun clutch on equipment such as a rotary mower or the mower will push you forward. A live pto is the same on any tractor. That is a tough tractor, I had one for years. Without a live pto the mower will act as a flywheel and turn the pto shaft. This will turn the rear wheels and continue to move the tractor until the mower rpm is 0. The overrun clutch only clutches in one direction. With it installed the flywheel action of the mower does not affect the tractor. It is able to freewheel. This is probably not the best explanation on record but hopefully understandable.

I have a 54 NAA and 600 and can't think of a better way to explain it. It is really hard to explain if you haven't experienced it; over run clutch assembly is a must. I agree they are tough old tractors.

/ Ford Jubilee Live PTO ? #4  
It doesn't have a live pto. .

It -could-, but *probably* doesn't.

there were aftermarket 'pinion' clutches made for the N and NAA.. installed inthe place of the coupling tube aft of the trans.. the N models were manual, the naa models were hyd and ran off a small pump on the tach drive nose of the main pump. essentially throwing the lever clutched the drive wheels, but not the pto.. hitting the foot clutch killed all of it.. think of it as adding a 2nd stage to the single stage clutch.. that lever acts like the first level of 'pressing' on a foot clutch on a dual clutch model.

however.. all that said.. the naa with live pto option is a rare bird indeed.

owner probably mis sold it and said live pto instead of live hyds .. which it does have...

still.. 1800$ for a running naa that drive ok.. is a good deal.

soundguy

/ Ford Jubilee Live PTO ? #5  
I've just purchased a 1953 Ford Jubilee for $1800. Runs good, has some oil leaks, almost sure it needs.a a front seal replaced. Does anyone know exactly what is a live PTO on a jubilee model.

I still miss my Jubilee - around here a running Jubilee sells for $3,000 all day long..so you got a great deal...I have been looking for a deal like that for a few years now..congrats !

/ Ford Jubilee Live PTO ? #6  
Hey guys. I just bought what I think is a Jubilee with live PTO. The tractor runs well but the three point does not work at all. While looking for more info on how to service the hydraulics I started noticing some extra parts on mine compared to the others I was seeing online. Here are some pics.
Jubilee 2.JPG

Here you can see the second and much smaller hydro pump.
Jubilee 1.jpg

The extra lever by the PTO engagement lever.
Jubilee 3.JPG

The hydro valve that is controlled by the lever.
Jubilee 4.JPG

I think this collar on the driveshaft must have oil passages in it that ultimately control the PTO or rear axle? The hydro hose goes down from the valve via a 90 degree fitting, under the shaft and up and into a 90 degree fitting on the collar.
Jubilee 5.JPG

On another note, I need some help diagnosing the hydraulics. The hydraulic pump is working and is primed but I have not done a pressure test. The hydraulic valve and piston work when I apply air pressure to the the oil inlet. Since these two major parts of the system work I am thinking it is the pressure relief valve or something along those lines. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

/ Ford Jubilee Live PTO ? #7  
My understanding of what a live PTO is that you can depress the clutch and the PTO doesn't stop. I thought I knew this, am I wrong? Often times the TPH not working on a Jubilee is from a bypass valve sticking or I think a seal blown. I have not worked on a Jubilee for 35 years so my memory is a bit foggy. Ed

/ Ford Jubilee Live PTO ? #9  
Interesting video: The new Ford Tractor 1953 - YouTube

I believe at the beginning the announcer mentions "live PTO", but he may have misspoke and been referring to live hydraulics, Soundguy can clarify I'm sure.

/ Ford Jubilee Live PTO ? #10  
My understanding of what a live PTO is that you can depress the clutch and the PTO doesn't stop. I thought I knew this, am I wrong? Often times the TPH not working on a Jubilee is from a bypass valve sticking or I think a seal blown. I have not worked on a Jubilee for 35 years so my memory is a bit foggy. Ed

the live pto on a jube is mor elike a 2nd stage clutch.

you have a main foot clutch.. then there is the add in pinion clutch. on the jube, the pinion clutch is hydraulic. on an 8n, it is mechanical.

throwing the lever clutches the drivetrain at the pinion, but not the pto, because you have not stepped on the clutch. thus think of this as a separated 2 stage clutch.

need to check that lift cover .. unloader valves stick.. sometimes you get backpressure valve problems. did you remove he acorn nut and back the back pressure valve off before disassembly?