Comparison Ford Jubilee vs 641 - First Tractor!

/ Ford Jubilee vs 641 - First Tractor! #1  

Tyler B

Tractor
None yet!
Hey TBN! New member & first time post.

Looking to buy my first tractor and could use some advice between the 2 options that I'm looking at.

Quick recap of my needs: living on 6 acres w/ house, barn, handful of trees, some fencing, a couple long gravel driveways, and a lot of grass to mow (mostly flat ground w/ some rougher areas). Currently have a newer Husky garden tractor I use for mowing, but it can't keep up when grass/weeds get long, and it's not great for most work outside of mowing the yard. Looking for a reliable work tractor to primarily brush hog (when I inevitably fall behind), keep my gravel driveway free of potholes, and maybe even put a finish mower behind to keep more of my land cut relatively short (cover more ground than my garden tractor?). I'd keep the garden tractor for cutting around trees / obstacles and any smaller tasks it can handle with the cart.

Here are the two options that I'm looking at. Being new to tractors I'll give my best assessment of condition.

1) Ford Jubilee + 5ft Brushhog $3,000
Seems to be in solid condition. Not super clean/restored or anything like that (aesthetics)... but can't point to any apparent functional concerns. 3 new tires within the past year, so I'm assuming I'll have to replace the remaining back tire soon-ish.
2) Ford 641 + 6ft Brushhog $3,200
Obviously a little more tractor than the Jubilee (and brushhog, but not that i need the 6ft). However this tractor has had some (what I consider to be) significant work done in the past year that they've owned it. They were having issues with the front end (used to have bucket on the front), so had that rebuilt & put in a new radiator (issues caused by the front end). Also had to put on a "new clutch and 3 point hook up lift". There was some issue with the carb so they turned off the gas line when not using the tractor (this might be common?). Tractor was very slow to turn over, but I'm hoping it's due to an older battery that's been sitting for the season. I would take a new battery out there to confirm that hypothesis before buying. People didn't come across as tractor experts, they had a local guy doing the work on the machine, but they did seem honest. They owned the tractor for a year to clear a property to build a new house. They're done now, so no longer need the tractor. I'm trying to decide if all of this work was a good thing, as theoretically the work is done now for me, or if the tractor could be a lemon that they're trying to dump. Any long term concerns with the work that needed to be done?

Obviously I'd prefer something with live PTO, but for my budget I'm happy landing on something with a little more power than the N's as well as live hydraulics. My #1 priority is to find a reliable machine that has as few issues as possible (since I'll be new to working on tractors). I'd honestly even pay a little more money for something in "great" condition (from my perspective), but haven't found that yet. As far as I know I'd just be paying for fresh paint at that point.

So #1 seems "safer" (but maybe just because I don't know the back story), but #2 could be a better deal for more tractor @ a similar price.

Would love you experts' opinions!

Thanks,
Tyler

Last edited:
   / Ford Jubilee vs 641 - First Tractor! #2  
There are a significant number of parts on an NAA that are specific to that model. In contrast the 641 shares most parts with several other models produced over a fairly long timeframe. This would be a consideration for me if I were choosing between those two models.

/ Ford Jubilee vs 641 - First Tractor! #3  
I'd go with the Jubilee. Sounds better and the Jubilee was the final product in a long line of similar tractors. Plus it was designed back in the day when making a special celebration edition ment excellence. It's a bit of a collector's tractor, so I'd expect it to hold its value better than a 641. The price seems fair for a good runner. That's important, since you are following a path that a lot of us have, and it wouldn't surprise me to see you on a more modern compact tractor in a few years. When you do, the Jubilee will be easier to move. Neither of those Ford tractors will handle much front end weight, and any weight at all up there will make them nose heavy. Since neither tractor had a frame like most modern tractors do, you should not be expecting to use a loader.
They were both tractors built for pulling small plows and ground engaging implements and doing a little bit of PTO work.

BTW, what do you want a tractor to do? As said, both of the Ford models you are looking at are made for light PTO work and fairly heavy 3pt plowing.
Frankly, most of the small 20 hp and up 4wd Japanese diesel tractors imported in the last 40 years will work circles around that old American Iron. Make that double circles.....

Still, the old tractors are special in their own way. And there just isn't a better way to get started with tractors. I have an old one (1958 JD) and am not giving it up! I love its power steering, front end loader, independent PTO, and big 3pt hitch. It runs like a champ and any basic mechanic could fix it .... if it ever needed fixing.. However, that model JD had quite a few more convenience features than either of the Fords.
But the old Jubilees sure are beautiful, aren't they?
rScotty

/ Ford Jubilee vs 641 - First Tractor! #4  
I just sold a pretty decent 601 for $1,700. They both sound a little high to me.

/ Ford Jubilee vs 641 - First Tractor!
Thanks for the reply rScotty.

Primary uses: Brush hogging, gravel driveway maintenance, and finish mower.
I'll eventually want to do some work on fencing with it... just a 6 acre "farm", but a lot of barbed wire fencing that I'll want to replace one of these days.
From what I've read on this site I'm actually ok with not having a front loader if my budget doesn't permit. I'm sure I can make a carry-all or (not sure what it's called, back scoop that pulls into the tractor?) work.

Out of curiosity - what would the "next step" look like, if I wanted to move to a more modern option first. Does increasing my budget put me in a better situation when considering reliability, resale, etc? Should i like at something closer to $6k? Trying to find that balance of not going overboard for just 6 acres of mostly mowing & playing around, but also not spending $3k so I can spend every other weekend trying to get my old tractor working again.

Appreciate the advice!

Last edited:
   / Ford Jubilee vs 641 - First Tractor! #6  
The NAA was the first in a line of similar models, not the last. It was Fords first overhead valve tractor. As far as classic looks go, most folks can’t tell a NAA from a Jubilee from a 641.

All Jubilees are NAAs but not all NAAs are Jubilees.

/ Ford Jubilee vs 641 - First Tractor! #7  
Am I reading the OP right...the front axle came into contact with the radiator? They have since replaced the radiator and "fixed" the front axle issue? Was the front support (some call it a girdle) replaced or repaired properly?

/ Ford Jubilee vs 641 - First Tractor!
That's how I'm interpreting it yes. There was something about the "Front end" that broke the radiator, so they had to replace / rebuild both. The front girdle is now very obviously not original (black rubber-like bars across grill instead of red metal). They've had a tractor guy doing the repairs, but that's about all I can speak to whether they were done properly (obviously both seller and myself are not well versed on tractors - my knowledge is from about a month of scouring these forums). Picture attached. 67073451_10214715453303046_4466977403310178304_n.jpg

/ Ford Jubilee vs 641 - First Tractor! #9  
IF it was replaced, you should be fine. The rest of what you mentioned is typical stuff. I'd go for the 641.

/ Ford Jubilee vs 641 - First Tractor! #10  
I just looked at you picture. I'm talking about the axle support, not the bumper. Look at the part that bolts to the engine and supports the axle. Is it bent up and welded back together?