Ford proved aluminum will melt!

/ Ford proved aluminum will melt! #21  
I'd guess the photo is a close up of just part of the truck, there would be large parts of it that didn't burn up.

/ Ford proved aluminum will melt! #22  
Best looking Ford I've seen! I know that has been a problem on Americas older military APC's. The armor was aluminum and would burn sometimes when hit. The truth is any vehicle that catches fire is probably going to be totaled out by the time the fire department get there.

When I was in the Marine Corps I trained on a range set up for the M203's and we also used it for the weapons platoon to train on the M240's and M2's occasionally.

A 40mm HEDP round would penetrate it.

7.62 ball would sometimes.

.50 cal would smoke through it everytime.

I was never impressed by them though they must be reliable because they are used by just about every ally we have had in the 20th century and are still in service.

In all fairness the Marine AAV 7 is also aluminum. I never shot one of those up but I doubt it fares any better.

/ Ford proved aluminum will melt! #23  
I'd guess the photo is a close up of just part of the truck, there would be large parts of it that didn't burn up.

That is what I was trying to say. The small pile of parts makes things look bad like the whole truck literally burnt up.

/ Ford proved aluminum will melt!
That is what I was trying to say. The small pile of parts makes things look bad like the whole truck literally burnt up.

Here is copy from the article: >>>According to Road & Track, the pickup was towing a two-axle trailer loaded up with water tanks when a fire started in the truckç—´ wheel well. As you can see in the photos above, things quickly escalated from there. Luckily the Ford engineers inside the truck quickly abandoned ship. The spy photographers who caught these amazing images told Road & Track that within three minutes the whole truck was consumed in flames. Just 18 minutes and a few explosions later, the truck had been reduced to a pile of charred parts. - <<<<

This is from the R&T article: >>As the front of the truck continued to burn several explosions scattered parts of the Super Duty into the desert. Just 18 minutes later the truck was burned to the ground, with only charred puddles of aluminum and scorched roadway to tell the story.<<<<<

/ Ford proved aluminum will melt! #25  
Here is copy from the article: >>>According to Road & Track, the pickup was towing a two-axle trailer loaded up with water tanks when a fire started in the truckç—´ wheel well. As you can see in the photos above, things quickly escalated from there. Luckily the Ford engineers inside the truck quickly abandoned ship. The spy photographers who caught these amazing images told Road & Track that within three minutes the whole truck was consumed in flames. Just 18 minutes and a few explosions later, the truck had been reduced to a pile of charred parts. - <<<<

This is from the R&T article: >>As the front of the truck continued to burn several explosions scattered parts of the Super Duty into the desert. Just 18 minutes later the truck was burned to the ground, with only charred puddles of aluminum and scorched roadway to tell the story.<<<<<

I guess the trailer burnt up too?

/ Ford proved aluminum will melt! #26  
Best looking Ford I've seen! I know that has been a problem on Americas older military APC's. The armor was aluminum and would burn sometimes when hit. The truth is any vehicle that catches fire is probably going to be totaled out by the time the fire department get there.

Yea any vehicle might be totaled but the aluminum is a KEY factor here. Aluminum powder is the main fuel ingredient in many fireworks and it has to be handled with EXTREME care. Aluminum is like magnesium, in that once it ignites, it difficult to put out.

They might have been hauling the water to put out any brush fires they may have caught, not sure though.

/ Ford proved aluminum will melt! #27  
This picture here shows alum powder spray from the explosion. Not sure if the aluminum burning caused the explosion or if something else went, but that looks a lot like WP rounds going off.

016SuperDutyfire-sm.jpg

/ Ford proved aluminum will melt! #28  
Kind of reminds me of a Mission Impossible gadget. As always, should you or any of your I.M. Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This truck will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Dan/Jim.

/ Ford proved aluminum will melt! #29  
The UK found out about Aluminum during the Falklands war. Two of their aluminum destroyers didn't make it.

/ Ford proved aluminum will melt! #30  
I would say that the water on the trailer was just a convenient weight for the hill climbing test the truck was undergoing. You put water in the tanks before the test, and then you drain it when you haul the trailer back to wherever it parks.