Ford proved aluminum will melt!

/ Ford proved aluminum will melt! #31  
Anyone that has ever seen a house trailer catch fire, should be familiar with the "go up in a very hot puff of smoke" syndrome. Those aluminum skinned trailers burn extremely rapidly and with complete combustion. The undercarriage frames of trailers are steel beams and they survive, but the rest literally goes up in a puff. They burn so rapidly that at times the occupants cannot exit the trailer in time to save themselves. And the structures are never saved by the fire department.

/ Ford proved aluminum will melt! #32  
This picture here shows alum powder spray from the explosion. Not sure if the aluminum burning caused the explosion or if something else went, but that looks a lot like WP rounds going off.

016SuperDutyfire-sm.jpg

that is not a very pretty picture is it.? I bet that was hotter than (well you fill in the rest)

/ Ford proved aluminum will melt! #33  
   / Ford proved aluminum will melt! #37  
That looks like a Douglas A-1 "Sandy" dropped that load of White Phosphorous.

Good eye, yes it is. A flying tank. If I could ever own a classic aircraft it would be a toss up between a Skyraider or a Corsair.

/ Ford proved aluminum will melt! #38  
This picture here shows alum powder spray from the explosion. Not sure if the aluminum burning caused the explosion or if something else went, but that looks a lot like WP rounds going off.

016SuperDutyfire-sm.jpg

Some grades of aluminum will explode like that when you introduce water to the mix, like from the water tank on the trailer. I guess we can infer that they are using an alloy with a high percentage of magnesium.

Thanks for deleting my previous post BTW...

/ Ford proved aluminum will melt! #39  
I figured that explosion was the battery.