Ford TW30

/ Ford TW30 #1  

ARAYT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700, Ford 750 TLB, Case 585
A friend of mine is looking at buy a TW30 and has asked me to do some research, can anybody tell me what in particular I need to be looking at, common problems. The tractor has 3500 hours and has been kept in fairly good condition (visually), has rear single tires in excellent shape, cab with some issues (window seals etc. with minor rust). The owner said only issue is high range seal?? but he never uses. If recommended what's a fair price? Any advise would be much appreciated.
Thanks Ray

/ Ford TW30 #2  
Would need more info
4WD?
Cab?
Photos?

/ Ford TW30 #3  
That model had some known issues with the engine lube system and porous blocks. Ford made different oil pumps for the engines but was still a concern.

/ Ford TW30
Hey Dude-
Its 2wd, does have a cab, paint is about whats expected for its age (not great). Body is not beat up at all just faded.
Looks like the valve cover is leaking, fair amount of buildup around the hydraulic hookups and around the fuel pump. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

oldnslo-
I've read some about some of the engine issues, what would I look for in reference to a porous block? I've read that the oil pressure will drop almost instantly with the oil pump problem, saying its oversized w bypass valve issues. I'm not sure if it has been changed but may can find out.

Thanks Again, Ray

/ Ford TW30 #5  
If my memory is correct the porous block was something that was very difficult to spot. Neighbor had one back in mid 80’s and it leaked water into the oil or vice versa. Ford split the cost on replacing the engine. I think was around 2,000 - 2,500 hours on it when failed.

/ Ford TW30 #6  
The most important question is what does the guy want for it?

/ Ford TW30
I think he is asking between $7-8k.

/ Ford TW30
??

/ Ford TW30 #9  
Any running tractor that size with a cab is worth 7-8. I’d say go for it.

/ Ford TW30 #10  
Porous block refers to cavitation in the block which could result in a pinhole in the cylinder wall. This is not unique to Ford and can be prevented with good quality water and coolant with an SCA additive or with a premix of the same additives.

Regarding the high range seal, he is referring to the Dual Power clutch. The tractor would have to be split at the bell housing to repair it. The TW30 used a treadle on the floor to shift hi/lo.