Ford TW30

/ Ford TW30
Good deal, appreciate the information. I feel like the tractor was not abused and was averagely maintained. I'll recommend the coolant info you referenced.
I also thought it was reasonably priced but wanted to make sure he was not buying something he regretted.
Thanks Again for the advice.
Ray

/ Ford TW30 #12  
Porous block refers to cavitation in the block which could result in a pinhole in the cylinder wall. This is not unique to Ford and can be prevented with good quality water and coolant with an SCA additive or with a premix of the same additives.

Regarding the high range seal, he is referring to the Dual Power clutch. The tractor would have to be split at the bell housing to repair it. The TW30 used a treadle on the floor to shift hi/lo.
That’s right. Porous block (cavitation) would have needed to be addressed long ago with pink coolant or coolant additive. If it already has the problem, it’s too late. Look for coolant missing with no external leak or signs of it mixed in oil, blowing or burning out the exhaust.

/ Ford TW30
Have another question please, have any idea what it cost to change PTO gearing to operate at 540 vs 1000 for this tractor? Running mostly batwing mower and baler. Friend has a couple other tractors that run 540 one is a 4020 and other is I believe a 1135 Massey.
Thanks, Ray

/ Ford TW30 #14  
Have another question please, have any idea what it cost to change PTO gearing to operate at 540 vs 1000 for this tractor? Running mostly batwing mower and baler. Friend has a couple other tractors that run 540 one is a 4020 and other is I believe a 1135 Massey.
Thanks, Ray
So it doesn’t have a 1000/540 lever?
Or are you talking about the PTO spline shaft?

/ Ford TW30
So it doesn’t have a 1000/540 lever?
Or are you talking about the PTO spline shaft?
Sir, I'm not sure about the lever, the current owner said it would need to be changed so I suspect it may not have that. I'm talking about the existing equipment and tractors he currently has operates at 540RPM PTO speed.
Thanks Ray

/ Ford TW30 #16  
Ray, the PTO speed is changed by removing the existing shaft and installing the needed shaft. Parts picture of each attached here.
There should be a snap ring that takes a normal pair of pliers to remove, then pull the shaft out. You will lose little or no oil when you do this. Install the needed shaft in the reverse order.

What shaft/size are you looking for? I may have one.

Ted

Attachments

• TW30 PTO.jpg
    TW30 PTO.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 27
   / Ford TW30
Sir, you are saying the only item that will need to be changed is the shaft. I was thinking a couple gears would also need to be changed (just from reading stuff online).
Thanks Ray

/ Ford TW30 #18  
Typically it's just the shaft and the JD units we had you pulled the shaft and turned it around. One way was 540 the other was 1000. Personally if it were me I would get an adapter for the 1000 RPM spline the 540 and run my mowers on the 1000 at a lower engine RPM. You may have to use some sort of strobe or tachometer to determine engine speed but it would help running the tractor at lower RPMs.

/ Ford TW30 #19  
I ran a JD 4020 with a mower much smaller than that tractor could handle HP wise. I decided to install the 1000 RPM shaft, or turn the 540 around....forget which, been decades, and run the tractor at half the normal PTO RPM. Worked fine.

I just bought an older tractor and the tach is inop. So, I put a white line on one of the splines and got out my little digital tach which I bought off ebay new for a very reasonable price....20 bucks more or less, and advanced the throttle till it was running at 540. I marked the location of the throttle. I realize that once an implement is attached the RPM will decrease. But I don't see that as a problem as I set my gear/ground speed so that the engine only looses 100 RPM.....give or take listening to it load up.

/ Ford TW30 #20  
The idea of 1000 rpm PTO is to run more efficiently. If you have the 1000 rpm geared gearbox on the implement, then use the 1000 rpm PTO, but this is not always something that is available on the implement. Adapting 1000 to 540 is not the best thing to do as you would run the engine at the lower end of the torque and power curves being less efficient overall. Now if the implement is something that doesn't require a lot of power, then okay, but brush mowers especially, need to operate at the speeds they were designed for to do the best job and easiest on the tractor powertrain.