Fork Pockets?

/ Fork Pockets? #1  

dstig1

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC, JD X738 Mower, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)
I am thinking of adding a fork pocket under the deck of my trailer to hold my QA forks. Does anyone have any pics or links to how these are generally done? I'm thinking some kind of U-channel (channel, bent plate, or angles welded together) plus a couple of chains to keep it from popping out. How beefy does the steel need to be? I'm guessing that 3/16" thick is plenty for durability and way overkill for strength.

Yeah, I've been searching online. Not much in the way pf pics, mostly just an indication that the manufacturer offers fork pockets.

Thx,
Dave

/ Fork Pockets? #2  
Try about 6 pieces of U channel under the trailer and strap it down.

Attachments

• fork pocket.gif
    fork pocket.gif
    41.3 KB · Views: 849
Last edited:
   / Fork Pockets? #3  
You might consider a pair of angle irons inside the "U" brackets to help guide the forks as you slide them in. :)

/ Fork Pockets?
Countrybumpkin - do you have any pics of your setup? I also checked out the thread you linked. I'm interested in ways to secure the forks that are self-contained and don't require an extra ratchet strap. It looks like the one JJ posted has a couple chains for securing the forks. That's the line I am thinking along. But a ratchet strap would keep them form bouncing/clanging around.

Rectangular tube would be another good way to do this. Might be easier than bending metal. Hadn't thought of that one.

Thanks,
Dave

/ Fork Pockets? #6  
Sorry I don't, And may be a few days before I can get some. I don't use mine a bunch to transport my forks so I just use a ratchet strap , that way I don't have anything on the side of the trailer all the time or on the forks. I have a tool box on the front of my trailer that I keep all my chains and straps in so they are always available for me.

/ Fork Pockets?
Thanks - if you think of it over the next week or two, pics would be great. I won't be pulling anything out of storage to work on until the snow at least mostly melts, and with all we got this year, that may be July :(

The way my trailer is set up with the bed between the wheels, there is a nice place on the front to tuck the forks so they are always accessible and out of the way.

Edit: The more I think about it - ya know what I'm really looking for? Dimensions. Forks are about 4" wide x 1 3/8" thick, according to the spec page (buried under 2' of snow so I cannot verify right now). So would a 5"x2"x 3/16" wall rect tube be about right for the channel? Spaced on the widest fork center which looks to be ~41" OC that should do it???

Thanks

Last edited:
   / Fork Pockets? #8  
This is how they were done on my trailer.

Attachments

• front close up.jpg
    front close up.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 1,000
  • PICT0044.jpg
    PICT0044.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 944
   / Fork Pockets?
Thanks for the pics. Looks pretty simple. You have dimensions on the tubes by any chance? W x H x wall thickness

/ Fork Pockets? #10  
I will get some pics as soon as I get back home this week should be Friday, I had to go out of town this week. the tube you mentioned should work fine if your forks are not any thicker than 1 3/8" , as for the 41" OC spacing I put mine on around 24 or so IIRC, will measure that too. :)