Fragility and Durability of the BX

/ Fragility and Durability of the BX #1  

chucky79

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2370-1, Cub Cadet 1812, Cub Cadet 1810, Cub Cadet 1650
I own a BX2370 and love it. Its been a very good tractor thus far, lots of power, reliable starting, and far more versatile that I ever imagined. Ive not seen more than a handful of bad things said about any model of BX since Kubota started making them with the exception of a few people complaining about the jerky stop in reverse that was common in the 50 series. I met a guy today that works for a tractor dealership and swears the BX is a fragile machine that will break if worked hard or abused even a little. He says they see many BX's come into his shop with broken driveline parts. Specifically he stated the differential was the over engineered but under supported and the rear end had brittle/weak bearings often leading to failure. I have to say I've never seen one post or testimony to support such a claim as every Kubota owner I know loves their BX and swears by them. So what is your all opinion on such a claim? Anyone ever heard of a BX with failure prone driveline parts or know of any specific stories similar to what he claims?

Last edited:
   / Fragility and Durability of the BX #2  
What?

/ Fragility and Durability of the BX #3  
Anything can be broken... wouldn't call the BX fragile except for the Hydro Fan and that can be protected...

Here's a link to the legendary BX with 2400 hours... takes a licking and still keeps ticking... Jenning said after being left in a ravine the BX was put it back in service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExHGQPcdSV0

/ Fragility and Durability of the BX

I assume your "What" is out of shock same as me? This guy may live and work in an area where people are abusing their Kubota's to no end but I just cant imagine anyone thinking the BX is isn't a very capable and durable machine. Plenty of people abusing them every day without issue I think.....

/ Fragility and Durability of the BX #5  
Mechanics see abused, broken tractors in the shop, all the time.

Reasonably operated tractors are not in the shop, they are at home.

However, buy enough tractor.

/ Fragility and Durability of the BX #6  
:laughing::laughing::laughing: You can usually find a turd in every barrel, the guy you talked to, not the Kubota BXs. I've owned almost every series of BX made in the past 12 years. I've even been brutal to some of them and never broke any and never known any one that has.
I even owned the abrupt stop in reverse 50 series which was an engineering mistake in the hyd transmission but was an unstoppable tractor and plastic parts may work for green tractors but most Kubota owners frowned on it but didn't bother me.
I don't believe what the guy told you.:thumbdown:

/ Fragility and Durability of the BX #7  
I still think my BX is five times its size when I us the FEL and blade. It never complains. Just keeps on digging and pushing trees and rocks. Runs a 5ft rototiller without issue.

/ Fragility and Durability of the BX #8  
I can't remember a single post on TBN that would suggest/support that, and let's admit it, we see quite a few "I broke my tractor doing something dumb" posts (though the "doing something dumb" is sometimes added from comments, and not the OP). If the BX was fragile, I'd bet money we'd learn about it on TBN.

I do recall a semi-recent post where someone cracked the rear case on a B or BX, but that was due to some sort of shock load coming through the PTO, and not surprising.

/ Fragility and Durability of the BX #9  
It never ceases to amaze me that it seems what ever shop or mechanic someone talked to a comment like this is made about any make or model.
I'm not from Missouri but am becoming a show me person. As I read more and more posts here I've found many are pure theory and too many people reply from their "tractor simulators" rather than personal experience and can't back up their statements. So, ya gotta learn what to weed out and what to rely upon.

/ Fragility and Durability of the BX #10  
I too am shocked at the statement that the BX is "FRAGILE" ! ! ! I have a BX250 from 2008, and I have abused, misused, and mistreated it a LOT. Only have a couple issues, and they are minor ones at that. This thing is BETTER than a Times. It takes the licking and keeps on ticking, then asks "Is that the best you got?". :thumbsup: IMHO this is the best thing I have EVER purchased, and wish I had done it 10 years earlier.

Dave