Freakin lime!!??!!

/ Freakin lime!!??!! #51  
Gotta remember this soil here is almost like beach sand and this is the first year it hasn't been woods... I'm going to plant it kind of heavy with some sort of cover, winter wheat or something, that I can disc back in in the spring and build up the soil.

Yeah, over here I have everything from red clay to sand; been dealing with many of the same issues. I've had good success with a mix of clover and rape (trying to fix nitrogen and improve the drainage of the soil). Things like rape, turnips, cucumbers and sweet potatoes do well in acid soil, and can give you some extra browse and organic matter while the lime is working. I'm considering a season of sun hemp to till in as green manure to add some organic matter and help develop the soil structure.

Glad to hear you're still working it though. I'm fixin to open up a couple more acres and build an elevated box stand at one end (it's on the list anyhow).

Keep us posted on your summer progress.

/ Freakin lime!!??!!
Ditto this...
Additionally, you're not planting for optimal crop harvest, you're planting to attract deer.

I have open fields ranging from 15 acres to 1/2 acre.
About five fields range from the 1/4 acre to three acres.
I plant only those smaller fields for winter deer feeding. Deer like the smaller closed in fields much better, they feel more protected and safe. I also have a couple small strips in the woods about 50-60 yards long by 15-20 yards wide that I plant, and those smaller spots are great for bow hunting, since bow hunting does require a closer shot and this closed in open planted strip is a deer haven.

We lime each year with planting, and I've also limed in the spring. Since we plant in September, by the time Dec-Jan comes around with some good rain, the lime is in the soil and doing it's job.
My process:

Some years in late December, I've disced a few edges of fields and spread additional rape/turnips/beets since those are long gone by then.

These two images are one week after planting with only a light rain. They don't look like much right now, but we're getting downpours today and tomorrow, so in a week, this place will be lush.
The first is about a half acre planted in a larger two acre opening.
The second is a small strip in the woods surrounded by a creek and abundant acorns.
View attachment 442120...View attachment 442121

And what is it that you planted?