Frist time -4oohr change

/ Frist time -4oohr change #1  

First one

Gold Member
Tractor
08' Kubota L3240 HST /cab
Coming up on my 400 hr filter/fluid change and wanted to see if you all would stay with kubota brand or shop around for cheaper stuff?
Talking to kubtoa service , they say there brand is much better than the rest, but I kinda knew thats what they would say.
So what do you think,was it a line of bull ,or is there brand better?

/ Frist time -4oohr change #2  
Is it worth the difference in price to try to prove the service guys wrong?

I stick with what the company has decided is best for their tractors.

Others can gamble, but I won't. ;)

/ Frist time -4oohr change
Is it worth the difference in price to try to prove the service guys wrong?

I stick with what the company has decided is best for their tractors.

Others can gamble, but I won't. ;)
No, by any means would I want to save money by using cheaper stuff if it wasn't as good as kubota brands.
I seem to remember the service guy said it would be around 400 for the filters and fluid, almost a grand if I have them do it, including transporting to and from.
I'm looking into having one of the service guys come here after hours on the weekend to see what that might cost.

/ Frist time -4oohr change #4  
I have done a lot of reading/thinking about this also, I have decided to put the same fluid back in as it came with SUDT. not worth the risk on a hydro tractor to not get the same level of performance back. If it was gear, I might not.
just my 2 cents,
James K0UA

/ Frist time -4oohr change #5  
I stick w/Kubota products..warranty also if there issues down the road.

Pay little extra could be cheap insurance.

/ Frist time -4oohr change #6  
I use Kubota filters without question but am planning to switch to a full synthetic fluid at the 300 hr service on mine. I found a considerable improvment in cold weather function of the FEL on a previous tractor when I changed it to synthetic. To me, if the FEL is resisting every move because of cold fluid then it can't be good for the transmission and pumps either.
-40 is not a big surprise around here in January and February.

/ Frist time -4oohr change #7  
I agree with most others. You can get better, ie, pure synthetic, which Kubota doesn't offer, but that will cost you more. You can save money and buy house brands and they will work just fine, but won't give you the performance that SUDT will.

So, it is matter of do you want lower price, at the sacrifice of some performance, or do you want to spend more for an increase in performance, or do you wish to maintain the status quo.
Door #1, Door #2 or Door #3.

/ Frist time -4oohr change #8  
I do my own and when it came time for my 300 hr service on my NH 29D ..the new holland dealer wanted $200.00 to drive 15 miles to just pick up my tractor ...and the total charge just to change the hydraulic fluid and fileters and an oil change and filers came to just a bit over $1,500.00.

I hopped on Google and did my research and found the hydraulic fluid offered at Tractor Supply for about $50.00 met all the specifications as the NH fluid and I bought the NH filters from a local dealer for less than another $50.00. So for just a little over $100.00 and about 3 hrs. of my time I saved..$1,400 and got to know my tractor better..Stop and think..do some research and save some money...I now have 386 hours on that tractor and it is doing just fine...

Last edited:
   / Frist time -4oohr change #9  
i just did a hydraulic oil/filter, engine oil/filter, and fuel filter change in my jd770. i bought all the filters at the local jd dealer along with the hydraulic oil, since i don't know what to use for an over the counter substitute for low-vis hygard. i used rotella for the engine oil. granted, mine is a small tractor, so fluid capacities are lower, but my filters were $6.25(fuel), $7.25(oil), and $19.25(hydraulic), the low-vis hygard was $68.25 (might have been $64.25 - i forget) for a 5 gal pail, and rotella was $12.00 for a gallon at walmart - just a little past $100 total. even adding in a coupe tubes of grease, another several gallons of hydraulic fluid, and a couple quarts of oil would only land you at around $200. i wonder what else is included in the $400 parts estimate they gave you?

aftermarket filters and fluids are more than likely as good as the original, but since you have a hydrostatic, i'd guess that the hydraulic may not be easily matched. in my case, i don't think aftermarket filters would have been much cheaper anyways. maybe you have more filters to replace? air filters probably?

/ Frist time -4oohr change
i just did a hydraulic oil/filter, engine oil/filter, and fuel filter change in my jd770. i bought all the filters at the local jd dealer along with the hydraulic oil, since i don't know what to use for an over the counter substitute for low-vis hygard. i used rotella for the engine oil. granted, mine is a small tractor, so fluid capacities are lower, but my filters were $6.25(fuel), $7.25(oil), and $19.25(hydraulic), the low-vis hygard was $68.25 (might have been $64.25 - i forget) for a 5 gal pail, and rotella was $12.00 for a gallon at walmart - just a little past $100 total. even adding in a coupe tubes of grease, another several gallons of hydraulic fluid, and a couple quarts of oil would only land you at around $200. i wonder what else is included in the $400 parts estimate they gave you?

aftermarket filters and fluids are more than likely as good as the original, but since you have a hydrostatic, i'd guess that the hydraulic may not be easily matched. in my case, i don't think aftermarket filters would have been much cheaper anyways. maybe you have more filters to replace? air filters probably?
I'll talk to the service guy and see just what the price of 400 he gave me is to cover, I know that this was not for labor doing it though.