Front Axle Seal Replacement

/ Front Axle Seal Replacement #1  

Omnipotent

Bronze Member
As the subject says, think I blew a seal (haven't looked well yet, oil all over inner tire) wondering has anyone replaced one and difficulty level? Done it on cars many times never a tractor though. Hate to have dealer do something that could be done at home. CT335 2010 FYI.

/ Front Axle Seal Replacement #2  
Are you thinking it is the knuckle seal? Reference numbers 13 & 14 here. At home is very possible, sorta depends on your mechanical abiility.

Attachments

• ct445b-t540agearcase.png
    ct445b-t540agearcase.png
    137 KB · Views: 371
   / Front Axle Seal Replacement
Yep, went out and checked it out yesterday and definitely looks to be coming from there. Wish I had a service manual but watched a few vids from other tractors, looks fairly straight forward.

Alright, so here is a question...since I'm leaking out of the bottom side of the bevel gear/knuckle, it appears to have a "cap" that can be pried off and then I assume reveal the seal and o-ring. Everyone I've seen do this is replacing the top seal and therefore has to remove the whole hub from the axle....I'm wondering if I can just go in from the bottom and replace just the seal, thoughts?

/ Front Axle Seal Replacement #5  
Alright, so here is a question...since I'm leaking out of the bottom side of the bevel gear/knuckle, it appears to have a "cap" that can be pried off and then I assume reveal the seal and o-ring. Everyone I've seen do this is replacing the top seal and therefore has to remove the whole hub from the axle....I'm wondering if I can just go in from the bottom and replace just the seal, thoughts?

"Omnipotent"......should have no problems at all!

My Omnipotence is a little off-kilter thanks to this COVID - LOL

ex45h-t565a.png

OK, so after some more investigating (still haven't taken anything apart as I'd like to get the parts ordered so I can fix it at once), in any event....it looks like #16 is what I need, but they also don't show the bottom/end cap that you pry off....In another video of a Kubota I think, that cap looked like a seal as well, whereas 16 says a plug and not a seal. So the question is, does anyone know where that bottom cap is in the drawings or a part #?

/ Front Axle Seal Replacement #8  
It is #16. #1 in figure 40-80-18 on this drawing out of a CT235 manual, I expect yours very similar.

Attachments

• 2020-07-07-062747.jpg
    2020-07-07-062747.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 202
Nice and thanks. I probably should break down and by the service manual.....the only vehicle I own that I don't have the manual for is this darn tractor.

/ Front Axle Seal Replacement #10  
Nice and thanks. I probably should break down and by the service manual.....the only vehicle I own that I don't have the manual for is this darn tractor.

Is you dealer service folks friendly? Might give them a call and see if they will tell you how. Mine do it all the time as they are so backed up. Then again they tell me it will cost double if I take it to them after I fix it. I had a mystery quick connect failure that took them all of 5 minutes to find after I spent all day (bucket curl problem). He fixed it on the trailer - $20 ten minutes later and I was on my way home.