Front end loader/dirt moving tips ?

/ Front end loader/dirt moving tips ? #1  

lennyzx11

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301 HST/LA525 & 1964 Ford 2000 gas
I am using my Kubota L3301 to dig into a wooded clay bank below my house bucket by bucket and bring it up to where I am filling in an area under my deck for parking.
The trip is about 300 ft one way up a 15 degree slope.

Rather than bucket by bucket, should I just stack up a pile of loose dirt then bring it up a scoop at a time or even load it on a trailer or my old flat bed pickup but that means unloading it at the other end also.

This is virgin dirt so I have to work at it to get a scoop full for the trip each time.

I'm thinking of getting a subsoiler to break it up or a toothed bar also.
The box blade doesn't raise high enough to get into it with the scarifiers.

I am going to put the grapple back on and see if it'll loosen up a load a little easier also.

You guys that move a lot of dirt, any tips are appreciated! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456068221.488373.jpg

/ Front end loader/dirt moving tips ? #2  
Tooth bars may be your best bet for cutting into the clay.
It would be more efficient to break up a large pile then transport. A dump trailer would be a big time saver if you have access to one.

/ Front end loader/dirt moving tips ? #3  
Have you calculated how many yards/buckefuls/trips it will take?

I'm facing a similar quandary. I'm going to have an excavation in Virginia of about 200 yards and one option will be making about 700 trips with my B7610 to move it all. Another option is to bring back my M4700 from Mississippi and make 1/3 the trips.

Clay may be a MAJOR pain because it may stick to the bucket.

/ Front end loader/dirt moving tips ? #4  
Have you calculated how many yards/buckefuls/trips it will take?

I'm facing a similar quandary. I'm going to have an excavation in Virginia of about 200 yards and one option will be making about 700 trips with my B7610 to move it all. Another option is to bring back my M4700 from Mississippi and make 1/3 the trips.

Clay may be a MAJOR pain because it may stick to the bucket.

2nd option: RENT a MUCH bigger machine for a day, or 2, ...... or HIRE someone with a MUCH bigger machine for a day, or 2.

/ Front end loader/dirt moving tips ? #5  
Are the vertical deck supports pressure treated?

/ Front end loader/dirt moving tips ? #6  
You better watch useing a dump trailer on that hill. You are doing it about the safest way, but you still have to be on your toes all the time.

/ Front end loader/dirt moving tips ? #7  
A tooth-bar is a must-have tool for this project. It will go sooo much faster and easier with one. And after you get the bucket heaping full, you will see the need for an 800+ lb. ballast box to ease the pressure off the front end and to stabilize the tractor on that hill to the house.

/ Front end loader/dirt moving tips ? #8  
First I would get my lower retaining wall in, or are you going to slope beyond your lower posts. If you are you need to protect them someway if they are not pressure treated. Even if that are I would get some PVC pipe, split it and wrap the posts.

Now as to your question, I would work the bank and prepare a larger stockpile pile, then get into the transport mode and move from that stockpile. I also would be leveling and compacting as I go. Do you have something to compact with? If not go in 2 to 4" lifts and use the tractor tires if you can both ways. Hope this helps

/ Front end loader/dirt moving tips ? #9  
First I would get my lower retaining wall in, or are you going to slope beyond your lower posts. If you are you need to protect them someway if they are not pressure treated. Even if that are I would get some PVC pipe, split it and wrap the posts.

Now as to your question, I would work the bank and prepare a larger stockpile pile, then get into the transport mode and move from that stockpile. I also would be leveling and compacting as I go. Do you have something to compact with? If not go in 2 to 4" lifts and use the tractor tires if you can both ways. Hope this helps
e

As per.
Think about the support posts before you do anything else.

/ Front end loader/dirt moving tips ?
Thanks for all the advice!

The posts are pressure treated. But that is a great idea given for protecting them with PVC. That will be done.
I have built the retaining wall up one level at a time and compacted up till that level is is even. Then lay more large rocks that are tilted back against the slope slightly. I am up about 18 inches now and those rocks are all a minimum of 2-3 ft x 12-14" deep. I have backed up over each layer about 6 inches deep to compact it.
I don't have access to a dump trailer so that's out and dumping it will be problematic on that side slope.
I will look into a tooth bar. I want one anyway!
I have free stacked the first three layers but I think I will start cementing in the rest of the layers. This fill is only for that lower half under the deck as I don't have access to the upper half next to the house because of the one tree I don't want to cut.
I don't want to rent anything larger so I'll just plug along at it.

To those of you that gave me the earlier tips of backing down, widening rear wheels and carrying a box blade thank you! Those things have made this from a terrifying ordeal to an enjoyable task. I just take things slow and steady.