Loader Front end Loader Lift Question

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #1  

drajj5

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 28, Bolens G14 repower
I did some searching on this site regarding FEL lifting, and did something that you are not supposed to do.

I recently purchased the property next to mine and needed to move the Propane Tank from that home to mine. Today was the day of the move.... Tractor that I own is a Mahindra Max 28 to make the move. Not too far maybe 1/2 mile between where it was and where it needs to go. I realize that this is probably not the right tool for the job but must suffice as it is the only piece of equipment I own- lame excuse I know; there is redneck blood in me!

I Lifted the tank with a chain wrapped around the bucket attached to the welded hooks on either end of the tank. I moved it maybe 5 foot and could not control the swaying of the tank and any bump in the sloped gravel road gave me the heeby jeebies. So I had to rethink it; took 2 large ratchet straps and used the bucket to cradle the tank and secured it firmly to the bucket. The bucket on the tractor is small compared to the size of the tank - another clue that what I was doing was stupid.

Now to the meat of the post, The loader was able to pick it and transport it to my home using the strap technique. Curling the load proved to be more than the loader could handle; the loader arms would lift it fine ( the loader controls were super sensitive with that much weight). The bucket roll cylinders did hold but were unresponsive to curling the tank.

So the question- I always thought the bucket curl would be the, "strongest" part of the loader. I know that the loader arms do more work but thought; curl force would exceed the loader arms as its only job is- working the bucket roll. I am pleased it did the job... But learned that the cylinders that work the bucket are not a stout as I thought.

I always assumed that (breakout force) was bucket curl, which is typically marketed with a (higher capacity than the loader) Am I mistaken?

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #2  
On most SCUT FEL buckets the curl cylinder geometry gives at max "curl" at one point in the curl. This point may be with bucket almost level or slightly dumped. The lift cylinders usually have a more uniform lift capacity through there whole range of motion.

Either way good job on the "redneck" move :)

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #3  
They usually are stronger, but the leverage was too far out. It sure isn't good for your front axle to do that.

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #4  
I have done the same thing with some big logs that were in my yard, only I couldn't lift much just curl and almost skim the ground. Good job. Ed

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #5  
On most SCUT FEL buckets the curl cylinder geometry gives at max "curl" at one point in the curl. This point may be with bucket almost level or slightly dumped. The lift cylinders usually have a more uniform lift capacity through there whole range of motion.

Either way good job on the "redneck" move :)
Agreed, take a look at the geometry of where the curl cylinders were and you might notice they were not at the optimum position.

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #6  
Leverage. At the bucket edge and flat on The ground, curl will be stronger.

Curl is strongest in about the middle of its range, gets progressively weaker nearing the ends of its travel.

Loader lift is strongest at ground level and gets weaker the higher you go.

Given the leverage ratios, the further out in front of the bucket you go, the curl looses force at a much faster rate than the lift. The curl starts off strongest near the bucket, then there is some point where they are equal, then beyond that point loader lift is stronger. The tank must have been beyond that point.

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #7  
I would have lifted off the back side of the bucket and even removed the bucket if quick attach. If you had the bucket fully curled when you hooked up (to the back side) dumping the bucket would have more power than curling.
Curling the bucket, bucket cylinders, you have the piston area MINUS the rod area, less area for the hydraulic oil to put force against. Lift cylinders will have full piston area to work against.

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #8  
I recently purchased the property next to mine and needed to move the Propane Tank from that home to mine. Today was the day of the move.... Not too far maybe 1/2 mile

Now to the meat of the post, The loader was able to pick it and transport it to my home using the strap technique. Curling the load proved to be more than the loader could handle; the loader arms would lift it fine ( the loader controls were super sensitive with that much weight). The bucket roll cylinders did hold but were unresponsive to curling . . .

Drajj5,

It sounds like you were far too heavy a load to move a distance that far. But more importantly . . A tank with liquid in it that is explosive.

We all do things later we recognize are stupid. And I don't want to sound like a too stern father or preacher . . but your post seems more concerned about the weight than it does about how incredibly hazardous such a move is for explosion. Had a policeman seen you moving this . . you would have been stopped IMMEDIATELY.

I'm not talking about tip-over . . . I'm talking about simply cracking or bending the tank valve and gas leaking out as you're moving it. Propane is heavy so the gas hangs low . . . So you're driving along and the gas is at or near ground level. Your radiator pulls it into the engine area . . . and you get a "movie special effects" explosion fireball and then the tank goes up like a giant grenade after that first explosion.

And the only times a propane tank is "empty" is when:

A. Its new
B. Its sand filled
C. Its been left with the valve open a week or more steady.

"redneck stupid" is hauling too heavy a load for too long a distance. "really redneck stupid" is hauling too heavy a load with movable shifting contents (like liquid).

But combining "really redneck stupid" and the words like nitro or propane . . I don't have a descriptive phrase for that.

I'm writing this not to lecture . . but to emphasize you are fortunate to not have killed yourself and others within 100 yards of you while doing this imo.

Curl is not the issue . . life and death is. Serious.

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #9  
Curling the load proved to be more than the loader could handle; the loader arms would lift it fine ( the loader controls were super sensitive with that much weight). The bucket roll cylinders did hold but were unresponsive to curling the tank.

It amazes me that people will take a $20K asset and push it to it's absolute breaking point in order to avoid a hundred dollar moving fee.

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #10  
I see the safety police showed up...

Risks are identified, cautions taken, and people survive dangerous tasks every day. Probly more likely to get hurt driving to work than moving the tank.

Polite advice, great. Response seems slightly harsh...