Loader Front end Loader Lift Question

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #41  
Did also see a few mythbuster episodes. One about trying to blow up a gas tank, the other bout trying to explode a
propane tank with a bullet. Both nwere bear impossible

Ya beat me to it, LD.

Mythbusters tried to blow up full propane cylinders using fire, bullets, and external explosives. Shooting
a tank with bullets, even incendiary bullets could not ignite the propane. External explosives, which
can breach the tank and ignite the contents, was the only way to do it.

If you cook a full tank over a fire for long time, as the above video shows, you can eventually weaken
the upper part of the tank, which can split and release the propane very quickly. The lower part
stays cool much longer since the liquid inside keeps it cool. The venting gas also has a cooling
effect. Propane tank explosions are quite rare. Venting and burning, not rare at all.

I once witnessed an accident on US101 that resulted in a whole semi propane tanker engulfed. The
FD let the tank vent and burn, which prob took nearly an hour. The flames looked to be well over
100 ft high.

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #42  
I know this event is in the past, but maybe someone else will read it later, so I'll add one comment.

Rather than using the FEL, strapping the tank to a carryall on the 3pt probably would have been safer, and easier on the machine. You can get a pretty big tank strapped to a carryall if you have the ability to secure it really well. Add some boards to the carryall, and it won't even scratch the tank. Depending on the exact situation, it might take a couple of boards to make a ramp, and either someone to push the tank, a come-a-long, or something similar to get the tank on the carryall, but it shouldn't be that difficult....worst case, dig down six inches so the top of the carryall is even with the bottom of the tank, then pull it on with straps/chains and binders.

But what if the OP doesn't have a carryall??

So if you have to move the tank 4ft, how many times do you have to hook/rehook straps/chains and binders??? Who is the someone that can push a propane tank onto a carryall. :confused3: :)

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #43  
Rather than using the FEL, strapping the tank to a carryall on the 3pt probably would have been safer, and easier on the machine.

Gmanbart,

What is a carryall? I've seen many implements but I've never heard of this before.

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #44  
Gmanbart, What is a carryall? I've seen many implements but I've never heard of this before.
Something that goes on the 3 ph to carry crap in. Likely a pallet with 3 sides that goes on a sit of 3 ph forks.

image-10812831.jpg

Last edited:
   / Front end Loader Lift Question
Something that goes on the 3 ph to carry crap in. Likely a pallet with 3 sides that goes on a sit of 3 ph forks.

View attachment 450041

I think that there is someone here on TBN that Markets something similar. I believe it is called 'Big Tool Rack'; I may be wrong though. I know that this would be a more viable option than the loader as the 3pt is much more stable/stout but- how to get it on the carryall..... some sort of boom with a boat winch attached to the said carryall?

Loading it would be tough as this was not under a tree or anything to suspend it off the ground.

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #46  
But what if the OP doesn't have a carryall??

So if you have to move the tank 4ft, how many times do you have to hook/rehook straps/chains and binders??? Who is the someone that can push a propane tank onto a carryall. :confused3: :)

As I said in my post, my comment wasn't for the OP, but rather for someone planning something similar in the future. It just seems that if someone needs to move something similar and they can find a way to use the 3pt, it will be safer, or at least more stable.

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #47  
I think that there is someone here on TBN that Markets something similar. I believe it is called 'Big Tool Rack'; I may be wrong though. I know that this would be a more viable option than the loader as the 3pt is much more stable/stout but- how to get it on the carryall..... some sort of boom with a boat winch attached to the said carryall?

Loading it would be tough as this was not under a tree or anything to suspend it off the ground.

Just lift it with the FEL, and prop it up with something...boards, blocks, length of firewood, etc. As long as the bottom is higher than the carryall, you can back right up to it putting the carryall underneath, then wrap the chains/straps and cinch them down.

/ Front end Loader Lift Question #48  
Many years ago there was a small town just north of Toronto that had a propane storage facility beside the RR tracks. The town was pretty well wiped out when it went up. Would have been back about 1955-1960.
Then it happened again in a different section of north west Toronto a few (10-20) years ago.