Front Tire Chains

/ Front Tire Chains #1  

wolfram

Tractor
Kubota BX2200
I have stock R-4's (18x8.50-8) on a BX2200 and I would like to add front tire chains. I have read a bunch of previous threads here on the subject.

For those that run front chains on a similar tractor with similar size tires, can you please measure the overall width of the tire chain for me? I want to make sure that I get chains that do not go down too far on the sidewall as to cause a clearance problem. Thank you in advance for your help.

/ Front Tire Chains #3  
I bought a B26 and looked at front chains but was strongly advised not to go there. In 4WD slipping tires can cause stress on the front axle to the point of breaking something. :mad:

2WD would be OK but then what's the use of having chains on the front tires? :confused:

/ Front Tire Chains #4  
I bought a B26 and looked at front chains but was strongly advised not to go there. In 4WD slipping tires can cause stress on the front axle to the point of breaking something. :mad:

2WD would be OK but then what's the use of having chains on the front tires? :confused:

I have trouble believing that 4WD front driveline strain hype at all. If it was the case, you'd break your tractor every time you drove across a piece of asphalt or concrete. I also think that a chain-ice/snow/gravel interface is much weaker than the front driveline. I'll let you know though, because I'm going to run 4 chains this winter w/ 2-link V-Bars on the front.

Truth be told, I'm planning on running 2WD most of the time. As far as front chains using 2WD, that's just so I can steer. There'd be no steering with my turfs once the snow flys.

JayC

/ Front Tire Chains #5  
I've been concerned about damaging the front drivetrain. I don't think it's totally unfounded. With those v-bar chains, the wheels just will not slip. It's practically unlimited traction and I think it can get you into trouble. It could be tempting to leave them on in the summer, load up the bucket with some ballast gravel and pull my 6' blade fully loaded up my steep driveway. I gotta think that would tear something up.

But boy, for moving through wet snow, it's night and day. My R4s were useless but with the chains it's unstoppable.

Attachments

• Chains.JPG
    Chains.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
   / Front Tire Chains #6  
The dealer actually told me that if I wanted/needed to run tire chains on either our BX2230 or L3600GST (both have FELs) to only run them on the front, because then not only will you get the added traction but also the chains will help with turning.

/ Front Tire Chains #7  
"to only run them on the front,"

That's what my service tech also said but no sharp turns.

I yet to run chains.

/ Front Tire Chains
Thank you all!

SEOhDave, are your front tires 18x8.50-8?

I do not know the BX 2350 (or its relation to the BX 2200)...is the front "clearance" the same as on a BX 2200? Thanks!

/ Front Tire Chains #9  
SEOhDave, are your front tires 18x8.50-8?

Without looking at the actual tires, I'm going to say Yes. That sounds right and the spec sheet lists that size.

I do not know the BX 2350 (or its relation to the BX 2200)...is the front "clearance" the same as on a BX 2200? Thanks!

Probably... I don't really know either. I've heard of models where the chains contact the gear housing or steering linkage but that hasn't been a problem for me. Tolerances are very close on the rears. It's a real bear getting the chains positioned properly in the tight gap under the fender.

/ Front Tire Chains
Dave, thank you for the help and quick replies. I am ready to buy chains.

Now, where is her credit card.....