Front Transfer Fluid

/ Front Transfer Fluid #31  
All very true, Gordon. I agree completely. Less corrosion and greater lubrication.

Mark

/ Front Transfer Fluid #32  
What scare's me is that more and more manufacturers are going to the fake stuff in thier differentials./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Thought you would like that---I'm still undecided on that subject--The fake juice or the dino juice that is

/ Front Transfer Fluid #33  
Just remember: You won't void the warranty if they don't spec it but you use it anyway. However, you will void the warranty if they do spec it and you don't use it. That should tell you something... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Mark

/ Front Transfer Fluid
Experts...manufacturers?

Another gentlemen posted that his manual states to use UDT in his 1710 NH front end, mine says 80/90 (probably a year or two older) bet we have the same front end.

Kubota says 80/90 OR UDT in the front end. I'm hoping there's different circumstances that would make each oil better but the manual sure doesn't mention it, so where are the "experts" now?

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of brainpower in these companies, but they don't always have authority to rewrite the manuals and get out there thoughts to the public.

/ Front Transfer Fluid #35  
Ok here is a good one what spec is the UDT fluid can anyone answer that one other than Kubota sometimes they are god and they know it. Is it like Macdonalds secret sauce /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Front Transfer Fluid
Gordon I agree with that, now how can we explain why these tractors are always built with the differential in the same pot as the transmission and they seem to hold up?

/ Front Transfer Fluid
Good question Gordon, especially considering the more dealers I contact the more different answers I get, some use Ford 134 in Kubotas, some use UDT and DO NOT use Super UDT in ANYTHING, and on and on. I've never had a new mechanical object before and received so many contradictory opinions from dealers on simple maintenance requirements!

[email]oldcarparts@mygarage.com [/email]

/ Front Transfer Fluid #38  
del,

Experts...heck yes! And they better have the authority to go and rewrite the manuals. Do you know the implications that manual has and the number of customers it affects! They don't just have some yahoo rewritting manuals for something to do. At least that's an awful scary thought! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif
JimBinMI

/ Front Transfer Fluid #39  
That does not seem to be entirely true. The Kubota manuals are technically very complete. The specs on engine oil seem to have just been copied from previous versions as they are several years out of date. The Diesel spec for the Kubota oil was superceded many years ago.

Yes, it is a scary thought, but it is true that I would trust individuals on this board far above the manual recommendations. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Front Transfer Fluid #40  
I'm not a petro engineer, so I guess I'm using metaphors to sort out this subject. Something like thicker & stickier equals better lubrication, provided it gets to all parts. Then I realized, that I don't have any idea what the properties of hydraulic and gear oils would be at the points of gear contact. The might be the same for all I know. There certainly are huge pressures--enough to weld the surfaces of the gear faces together if overloaded.

In terms of the equivalence of hydraulic and gear oils: It's possible that they aren't equivalent, but they might give similar expected transmission lives. The idea is that the components inside a gearbox wear for different reasons and probably have different lubrication requirements. No single lubricant is likely to be ideal for all components. Perhaps, some components tend to fail when gear oil is used, and other components fail with hydraulic oil, but the expected lives are similar.

Another possibility is that the subject received little engineering attention. Maybe something fairly unrelated to lubrication (shift collars?) are expected to fail first. An assumption is that a mechanic will be into a case before a rotating component is expected to fail and will replace things as needed before failure.

Of course, these are just speculative ideas.