Front Transfer Fluid

/ Front Transfer Fluid #41  
Re: Front Axle Fluid

Hello All,,

Just wanted this topic to be refreshed because after reading a bunch of past notes I still never did get a conclusion besides that there isn't one. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif And I am now just wondering what everyone has used since this discussion was posted and why. I just today took the bevel gear case and axle case off both left and right front axles to replace the seals in my L35 w/955 hrs. I already bought the seal kit and the Super UDT but started to wonder if I should just put the 80-90 in it this time. Actually I think that if when I changed the front axle fluid 50 hrs ago I could have put the gear oil back in and the thing probably still wouldn't be leaking.. Just a thought and am in need of some advise. Anyone????

Darin

/ Front Transfer Fluid #42  
Re: Front Axle Fluid - Temperature Issue?

To all,

I'll throw my "guess" into the discussion:

Aside from owner's manual recommendations, it seems that those who prefer gear oil in the front differential do so because that's what is used in automotive differentials. My "guess" about which type oil to use relates to the operating temperature of the differential gears. In automotive applications, the thicker gear oil is used in the differentials and manual transmissions where there is high speed rotation and no external cooling. Thinner oil is used in applications where there is external cooling, such as automatic transmissions, or where temperatures normally do not become excessive, such as power steering units (some have external cooling). In tractor differentials, I would "guess" that it wouldn't make much difference which lubricant that you used since they both lubricate well and the tractor doesn't travel fast enough for the thinner hydraulic fluid to require cooling.

Comments?

Kelvin

/ Front Transfer Fluid #43  
Re: Front Axle Fluid - Temperature Issue?

Thanks for your response Kelvin. I just got the new seal all in the front axles but haven't put the unit back together quite yet. I was really hoping to have someone tell me what is better but like you said maybe it really doesn't matter. Darn it...it has to /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. I'm afraid that I will but the whole thing back together and then someone will chime in and say the total opposite of what I did. Oh well let's just wait and see. Later

Darin

/ Front Transfer Fluid #44  

Hi ya's
funny this come up i was talking to my dozer man about changeing oil and filters ...1000 hour just so i know what was done when kinda deal and the final drives are ment to have sae 10 in them but ,going to sound weard.... fill with 80-90 gear oil ,runs smover ,better for slow moveing parts ,better tackabiley (is that a real word??) so whats that tell us?? someone told me years ago faster things spin the thiner the oil maybe the old timers had a grip on things
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Front Transfer Fluid #45  

Oh well put the unit all back together yesterday and torqued everything down to specs. Then I did put back the Super UDT in the front axle. Now when thinking back what I should of done was when they were off put in the 80-90 and rotated the gears to hear the difference between the oils. You can almost bet that it would of been quieter with the 80-90 oil in there right? If it's quieter then wouldn't you think it would be better? When I was cleaning all the parts (when apart) there was no rust anywhere so that tells me the oil is going where it should. Now in the oil you could see some metal particles when held to the light so hopefully that doesn't tell me that the oil isn't protecting the metal contact points later. Talk later

Darin