Frozen filled tires - how can you tell?

/ Frozen filled tires - how can you tell?
Most of the RV antifreeze I find is Ethanol now.

All the RV antifreeze I've seen is water potable, which would make it polyethylene glycol, which is non-toxic.

/ Frozen filled tires - how can you tell? #53  
Well here's my 2 cents.

1. Never taste fluids that are in your tires. Out of about 14 possibilities that could be in the tires, only three are even safe to drink and several are very poisonous

2. Recognize that any fluid you use doesn't have a pump to circulate it yet many items mentioned are designed for pumping like auto anti freezes etc. That is why dealers typically always use pre diluted fluids that are cold rated like windshield washer rated for -20. Note: pre-diluted products don't necessarily use common water as their diluting ingredient.

3. In the past, people used lots of wrong choices in their tires. . Things like sodium chloride that eats Steel rims or "ages" rubber and valve stems. Ethanol is really hard on certain alloys and even harder on rubber valves and tires etc.

4. Rimguard is beet juice with a couple additives. . . It is fine for the earth and won't harm animals or people, it is heavy by 30% and it doesn't breakdown with heat or cold. Often coops sell it as well as dealers.

5. There is one version of windshield washer that is safe for people and animals and at least one form that is not.

6. There is one form of RV fluid that is safe for people and animals and 2 forms that are not. "because something is used for plumbing systems doesn't mean it's safe for people and animals" . READ THE BOTTLE

7. Tires are not "clean". They often have a preservative on them on the inside. Also Air compressors transfer water or lubricant oil thru the feed line.

8. If you are determined to put water in your tires either 100% water or any mixture %, use distilled or rainwater caught from the sky (not the roof). And use a radiator lubricant to have some preservative in it.

9. Ruined rims or dried out or checked rubber are expensive prices to pay to save a little money on fluids.

10. There were frozen fountains in Atlanta again this year already twice (that's running water too), your geographic location may get colder than "normal". And remember, yes the sun warms tires but if they sit outside on concrete the cold radiates into those tires by direct contact for many hours that the sun isn't out.

Well that's my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Did a little more digging:

- The Wiki page on methanol confirms that's it's colorless but that it also tastes like ethanol (i.e. hard liquor). There was no taste, hence, probably no methanol in the tires when I got it and before I replaced most of it with the water/RV antifreeze mix.

- I called the 2nd previous owner who bought the tractor new back in 2005. In Florida. Leesburg, FL, to be exact. He was able to confirm that the tractor did come with filled tires but could not tell me filled with what. [The guy is the epitome of technically-challenged, so surprised not one bit].

- The 1st previous owner did confirm for me that the rear tires were filled, but that it came that way from the previous owner (2nd previous to me). He also did not know filled with what. [Note: At the time of this conversation, I had no idea that you filled tractor tires with liquid. This conversation led me to investigate the various materials on the web, primarily OTT). Also note, that the 1st previous owner died before I could have a 2nd conversation with him and before we actually closed on our property.

Now, anyone want to guess the probability of a central FL Kubota tractor dealer using anything but water to fill tractor tires? Serious question: I have no idea. Anyone in FL here know or care to speculate?

Thanks,

/ Frozen filled tires - how can you tell? #55  
I'm from Jacksonville, 100-200 miles north of Leesburg. Even there is would freeze but briefly. Standing water, bucket, bird bath, whatever, would rarely get more than 1/8 - 1/4" of ice on the surface. I'd be real surprised if they used anything but straight water.

/ Frozen filled tires - how can you tell? #56  
I'm from Jacksonville, 100-200 miles north of Leesburg. Even there is would freeze but briefly. Standing water, bucket, bird bath, whatever, would rarely get more than 1/8 - 1/4" of ice on the surface. I'd be real surprised if they used anything but straight water.

What if that tractor is sold, and taken 500-600 miles north? I think that any filled tires should be checked for freezing point.

/ Frozen filled tires - how can you tell? #57  
Did a little more digging:

- The Wiki page on methanol confirms that's it's colorless but that it also tastes like ethanol (i.e. hard liquor). There was no taste, hence, probably no methanol in the tires when I got it and before I replaced most of it with the water/RV antifreeze mix.

- I called the 2nd previous owner who bought the tractor new back in 2005. In Florida. Leesburg, FL, to be exact. He was able to confirm that the tractor did come with filled tires but could not tell me filled with what. [The guy is the epitome of technically-challenged, so surprised not one bit].

- The 1st previous owner did confirm for me that the rear tires were filled, but that it came that way from the previous owner (2nd previous to me). He also did not know filled with what. [Note: At the time of this conversation, I had no idea that you filled tractor tires with liquid. This conversation led me to investigate the various materials on the web, primarily OTT). Also note, that the 1st previous owner died before I could have a 2nd conversation with him and before we actually closed on our property.

Now, anyone want to guess the probability of a central FL Kubota tractor dealer using anything but water to fill tractor tires? Serious question: I have no idea. Anyone in FL here know or care to speculate?

Thanks,

I live in Florida, but my tractors are in New England, and the tires are filled with windshield washer fluid (methanol mix).
If I had tractors here in Florida, the tires would most definitely be filled with WATER!
Nowhere in Florida will it get cold enough, long enough,to seriously freeze water in tractor tires.
And,.... have you not heard?
We are in a period of global warming.

/ Frozen filled tires - how can you tell? #58  
Fried,

It was only a few weeks ago that San Antonio, Houston, northern Florida, Georgia an Alabama all had inches of snow and footage of kids making snowmen and snow angels was all over the news for 2 separate snows.

What if that tractor is sold, and taken 500-600 miles north? I think that any filled tires should be checked for freezing point.

Did you note my comment about the first owner (and the one that brought it 520 miles north) being technically-challenged?

I wouldn't be surprised if he even knows the freezing point of water.