Fuel additives

/ Fuel additives #41  
I've never had any gelling issues with my scut, although last year I used a cetone? booster which was billed as keeping injectors clean. I will be using my loader to clear driveway this year, as muscling around a heavy snow blower has been rough on my back.
If it gets really cold, like below 0, I will plug in block heater for a couple hours before. My question is this, are additives necessary? I buy off road diesel from a busy gas station with high turnover. If so, what do you recommend? I keep a bottle of red 911 on hand.
If you haven't been using additives for cold weather, you are risking a very large bill and pain in the butt fix. Bottle stuff is far easier. Last year I used Luca's treatment, and this year Hobb's. It helps with the diesel fuel gelling in the filters and lines. Get some quick and save yourself a lot of trouble.

/ Fuel additives #42  
I've never had any gelling issues with my scut, although last year I used a cetone? booster which was billed as keeping injectors clean. I will be using my loader to clear driveway this year, as muscling around a heavy snow blower has been rough on my back.
If it gets really cold, like below 0, I will plug in block heater for a couple hours before. My question is this, are additives necessary? I buy off road diesel from a busy gas station with high turnover. If so, what do you recommend? I keep a bottle of red 911 on hand.
Have you even read the directions on your bottle of 911? Do you have a spare fuel filter to change out? And are you comfortable bleeding the fuel system, if required, in your laneway during a blizzard?
You’re foolish to not treat your fuel to lower the gell point and prevent cold flow plugging of the fuel system. Probably the best $25 you could ever spend 🤷

/ Fuel additives
Have you even read the directions on your bottle of 911? Do you have a spare fuel filter to change out? And are you comfortable bleeding the fuel system, if required, in your laneway during a blizzard?
You’re foolish to not treat your fuel to lower the gell point and prevent cold flow plugging of the fuel system. Probably the best $25 you could ever spend 🤷
Thanks, being the fool that I am, I took someone's posted advise to see if my fuel that I buy at a high volume station, put in a jar and put in freezer. No issues.
Everyone else has posted sage advise, but thanks for beating that dead horse...

/ Fuel additives #44  
FYI, Coloured fuel is usually not sold in much volume. It’s used by off-road vehicles not hwy trucks etc. If you want fresh diesel you need to buy clear diesel at the main pumps…

/ Fuel additives
Boy, you are a wealth of info. While that may be true where you are, not the case here. But keep trying...

/ Fuel additives #46  
I don’t understand the need for your sarcasm 🤷
You seem to have great delight in telling us that you’ve never had a problem. Nothing wrong with that. Lotsa folks have a similar experience, I’m sure. But…people that express opinions of “I never had a problem blah blah blah” will never ever come back to tell us that their luck ran out.
I’m not trying to spare you any grief, you’ve already made up your mind about what you’re doing, but I’m just trying to advise some first time diesel newby about the care required that’s different from running a gas engine.
Carry on….

/ Fuel additives
wow...
I listened to others, took that information, researched it, tested my fuel like suggested, talked to a station owner (not the one I buy from) who told me all places around get their supplies from one of two places and reassured me they "winterize" the fuel. We are very rural. Neighbors relying on neighbors kinda place. Where one would not cheap out on winterizing fuel to save money and loose standing (and business) in his community. I took great delight? Have you been drinking? try reading my post again with an open mind, post 1 and especially post 17.

You called me foolish, and told me how things were, without knowing the place and situation. Again, I thank you.

Last edited:
   / Fuel additives #48  
Thanks, being the fool that I am, I took someone's posted advise to see if my fuel that I buy at a high volume station, put in a jar and put in freezer. No issues.
Everyone else has posted sage advise, but thanks for beating that dead horse...
I'm glad you tested your fuel and you had no issues. After experiencing gelling, I started testing my fuel before dumping it into the equipment. Last winter, I bought a jugful of road diesel from a busy big name station on the interstate and tested it. After freezing, it was gelling BAD and I was glad I didn't dump it in the Bobcat. I never had a problem with my TC33D either but the Bobcat has a much finer fuel filter and will not pass the paraffin as easily. Many, many years back, some diesel pumps would have a fuel sample on top of the pump to show customers if it was clear at the present temperature. Good luck in the future. (y)

/ Fuel additives
I'm glad you tested your fuel and you had no issues. After experiencing gelling, I started testing my fuel before dumping it into the equipment. Last winter, I bought a jugful of road diesel from a busy big name station on the interstate and tested it. After freezing, it was gelling BAD and I was glad I didn't dump it in the Bobcat. I never had a problem with my TC33D either but the Bobcat has a much finer fuel filter and will not pass the paraffin as easily. Many, many years back, some diesel pumps would have a fuel sample on top of the pump to show customers if it was clear at the present temperature. Good luck in the future. (y)
I was at parts store and Howe's anti gel fuel lubricator was on sale. $13. So I bought. My whole purpose of this post was, since there are rows and rows of additives for gas engines, and IMHO not needed for cars, were they needed for diesel engines. Not as cut and dry as in gas engine cars. Car dealerships are always pushing injector cleaners, which are not necessary if you use top tier gas, which has detergents in them. Thanks for the tip, I do appreciate it.
By the way, does your tc33 start hard all year round? Even in warmer weather, not hot, think spring and fall, I need to use glow plugs before starting. The cooler the temp, I have to extend past light going out. That's why I was running injector cleaner/cetene boost last year. My buddies JD rarely needs glow plugs. We both buy same fuel.

/ Fuel additives #50  
By the way, does your tc33 start hard all year round? Even in warmer weather, not hot, think spring and fall, I need to use glow plugs before starting. The cooler the temp, I have to extend past light going out. That's why I was running injector cleaner/cetene boost last year. My buddies JD rarely needs glow plugs. We both buy same fuel.
I traded the TC33D in on the Toolcat but I owned it for 19 years. I always used the glow plugs year round and only double cycled them a couple times during super cold weather. I would also plug in the block heater when it was cold. I always thought it started very good all the time I owned it.