Fuel Caddy?

/ Fuel Caddy? #31  
... Right now I use 5 gallon jugs and I'm getting tired of that, small spills, heavy jugs, junk in the fuel/jugs etc. Plus I like the idea of the fuel going through another filter...

This doesn't do much about the filter, but I eliminated the heavy jugs, small spills, etc by just buying one more 5 gal can. When I go to get fuel, I only get the last one filled half way. 2-1/2 gal is a lot lighter and easier to handle the can. Then I put the empty can on the ground and pour half of a full one into it. Much better position for lifting, pouring, etc.

The cost and work of a fuel caddy is really high compared to the benefits of just filling one can half way.

And, I don't have to worry about how long I can store a large quantity. Essentially, if I have to worry about how long the fuel will take to use up, I bought too much.

/ Fuel Caddy? #32  
My favorite is a 2.5 gal that looks like a standard 5 gal cut down.
I can hold it at arms length and pour plus 2.5 gal is just about a tank full.

I always use a fine mesh water filter also use an additive as I have had my share of sputtering back to the shop.

/ Fuel Caddy?
Well Christmas came early and boy was I surprised! My wife bought got me a new 300 gal diesel tank. It has 4 bungs that are sealed with knock outs on it.

I'm guessing I need some sort of fitting so that the local co-op can fill the tank?
Then I have to get a pump (electric)....not sure what to get that is good but doesn't break the bank. (My tanks are 8 and 12 gallons, so slow is preferred)
I'm also guessing I'll need some sort of pipe fittings to connect the pump
I'd like great filtration and water separation...need to figure out how to do that
I've been adding Stanadyne to my 5 gallon jugs but that product does not eliminate water....should I switch or not worry if I have a water separator? (But then wouldn't water in the tank cause algae?)

I'm guessing I should wait until Spring before I have them add the fuel, that way I get a summer blend (It's what my Kubota dealer said to try and keep running through the tractors)

/ Fuel Caddy? #34  
Well Christmas came early and boy was I surprised! My wife bought got me a new 300 gal diesel tank. It has 4 bungs that are sealed with knock outs on it.

I'm guessing I need some sort of fitting so that the local co-op can fill the tank?
Then I have to get a pump (electric)....not sure what to get that is good but doesn't break the bank. (My tanks are 8 and 12 gallons, so slow is preferred)
I'm also guessing I'll need some sort of pipe fittings to connect the pump
I'd like great filtration and water separation...need to figure out how to do that
I've been adding Stanadyne to my 5 gallon jugs but that product does not eliminate water....should I switch or not worry if I have a water separator? (But then wouldn't water in the tank cause algae?)

I'm guessing I should wait until Spring before I have them add the fuel, that way I get a summer blend (It's what my Kubota dealer said to try and keep running through the tractors)

Take a look at the 8 GPM pump and fittings I used in my set up. Hope this helps http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...l-station-build-55-a.html?highlight=powerscol
Post # 5 listed my sources. I also used Amazon.com for the stainless steel fittings.

/ Fuel Caddy?
Thanks! I'll have to check out the pump. Does it have auto shut off? I'm worried about fuel spilling out, so I don't know how well these pumps shut off (or what triggers them to stop.

I'm considering a dual filter setup - or is that not required? If I fill this tank (likely only put 200-250 gal to start) - It will last me a few years I think.

/ Fuel Caddy? #36  
Thanks! I'll have to check out the pump. Does it have auto shut off? I'm worried about fuel spilling out, so I don't know how well these pumps shut off (or what triggers them to stop.

I'm considering a dual filter setup - or is that not required? If I fill this tank (likely only put 200-250 gal to start) - It will last me a few years I think.

The nozzle shuts off the fuel flow on my setup, while the pump continues to run. I over filled my tractor once with a manual pump and nozzle, and immediately bit the bullet for an auto shutoff nozzle and fill rite electric pump. For filters, for years I used a dual filter setup - water separator then 10u filter. Now I use one 10u filter with water block media. For catastrophic water contamination the water block media immediately stops the flow, and for smaller amounts of water contamination you can hear the restricted flow of the filter.

/ Fuel Caddy?
I like the idea of the autoshut off, but I'm wondering if I need it. My B3200 is up high and only 8 gallons, so I'll be filling that slow. My F3990 is low and holds a lot more.

Either way, I'll be getting a low gpm Fillrite, I just need to decide whether to spend the extra money on the auto shut off.

I'd venture to guess a dual setup will catch more water (maybe) but at the very least, having a filter before a water separator should extend the life of the water separator, by avoiding the extra debris. I also like the idea of a clear canister, so I can see everything.

Right now I'm debating between storing the tank outside vs inside my barn (unheated, gravel floor). I like the idea of having it inside, to keep it out of the weather. Downside is obviously the space issue. It doesn't take up a ton of room, but it's still room that I won't have to use.

/ Fuel Caddy? #38  
An auto shutoff nozzle is only about $50. I highly recommend them.
My tank lives in the bed of my truck, so having 2 filters was a bit much space and appearance wise. For a stationary tank I would have the water separator and a 2u filter that the diesel truck guys add. Cat sells them, but they are really large. I have one on my diesel zero turn, and plan on installing one on the tractor.
Enjoy your tank. Anything is better than handling cans! (IMHO).

/ Fuel Caddy?
An auto shutoff nozzle is only about $50. I highly recommend them.
My tank lives in the bed of my truck, so having 2 filters was a bit much space and appearance wise. For a stationary tank I would have the water separator and a 2u filter that the diesel truck guys add. Cat sells them, but they are really large. I have one on my diesel zero turn, and plan on installing one on the tractor.
Enjoy your tank. Anything is better than handling cans! (IMHO).

Still looking around for filters....Any link to the Cat one? I'm guessing it's big $ since it has Cat on it? I've read about people recommending a Goldenrod water separator.

/ Fuel Caddy? #40  
The cat filter I like is a Caterpillar 1R-0750. For engine use I mounted it with a Napa 4770 head, but the head has 1/2" npt thread which would not be very convenient for a transfer tank. I would imagine there is a mount somewhere with 3/4 threads. I got the head and filter on eBay for around $48. The cat filter may fit on Goldenrod spin on bases, but I'm not sure.
When I had dual filters on my transfer tank the first one was the Goldenrod water separator you mentioned. Nice filter, and the element can be water absorbing, or plain. The Goldenrod spin on water block filters are more expensive, but very convenient.