Fuel can is hard to handle!!!

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #61  
Here's why:

230667d1316721966-harbor-freight-tools-dont-suck-sacsmog9-21-11.jpg

That's a picture of Sacramento, California's state capital.

This is what we see filling the Sacramento Valley as we come down off the Sierras on any warm summer afternoon. Visibility in this photo is far better than in Los Angeles where I've seen the mountains only a few miles away, disappear into smog as the afternoon warms up. They have days when kids can't go outside for recess.

Bureaucrats didn't initiate the smog-fighting rules, rather, the action was started by choking citizens who demanded that their government DO SOMETHING to restore the beautiful air quality in California. As you can see by that 2011 photo, the measures in place have helped some but haven't remedied the problem completely.

Here's another post where I discussed that photo.

Sorry that all the air quality remedies we need, also impact you guys too!

Denver and the other major Front Range cities can have nasty days like that, and the picture you posted reminds me of the sunsets we get during wildfire season.

I just get tired of Banifornia banning anything and everything, whether it makes sense to do so or not. I actually like California from a scenery and climate point of view and would like to live somewhere between Santa Barbara and Napa Valley. L.A. can fall into the ocean for all I care. But I won't live in Can'tifornia for the following reasons: too expensive, too over populated, too many taxes, too many regulations, too many illegal aliens, too screwed up politically, a broke Gummint (fiscally & operationally), etc ad nauseum.

I'm a Colorado native; but if I were single I'd be investigating Wyoming as my state is becoming Can'torado and Banorado.

I do wish California had been really smart and passed the prop requiring labels on all GMO goods, last fall. That would have been one worth getting on the books. Big money and corporations won that one too. *sigh*

AAARRRRRGH! :banghead::censored: All foods whether animal or vegetable have been GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms) since the dawn of agricultural in the Middle East some 8,000 - 10,000 years ago. The techniques are just more sophisticated now thanks to technology.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #62  
Step one.. take a pair of needle nose pliers and rip out the little "safety switch".. then either punch a hole in the other end of the can. and plug it with a golf tee. or if you want to get fancy, you drill a 1/2 inch hole in the can on the other end,, take a piece of wire and thread a tire Schrader valve with the stem removed, up thru the hole from the inside, and the rubber grommet will hold it in place when you pull on it.. and put the cap back on the Schrader valve. When you want to use the can take the cap off of the Schrader Valve and push on the lever, and it will empty fast.

Schrader valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is what I did to 4 new style cans, 2 for gas and 2 for diesel. The Diesel have held up fine, but the gas ate up the rubber tire valves and they came apart and fell off. I ordered the EZ Pour spouts (see post #17) and they work great. They come with a replacement snap cap vent. I haven't tried to install them yet, but hope they solve the problem with the non-gas resistant tire valves.
This thread reminds me I need to go install those vents.
jp

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #63  
Artvlr - There are different grades of valve stems. I use the ones rated for high air pressure and they have held up for over 8 years so far. I also take and drill out the brass inside with an 1/8" bit after removing the valve core to allow for greater air venting. Early on I had used a cheap rubber one & like you it did not hold up very long.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #64  
Artvlr - There are different grades of valve stems. I use the ones rated for high air pressure and they have held up for over 8 years so far. I also take and drill out the brass inside with an 1/8" bit after removing the valve core to allow for greater air venting. Early on I had used a cheap rubber one & like you it did not hold up very long.

The ones I use on my trailers are all metal, and short like these:

IMG_2872.JPG

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #66  
Watched John stossel on Fox News the other night and the company that made the good cans went out of business because of law suits from dummies pouring gas on open flames. Put around 170 people out of work and some had worked there for over 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

Which cans are you calling the 'good' ones?
The no-spill?

I hope they didn't go out, those are great cans very well made. If that's the one I will go buy some more before they are all gone.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #67  
Nope, there is a differnce between hybrid and GMO.

GMO has had its DNA altered, by inserting other DNA into the seed. REally huge difference. Plants can hybridize on their own, takes a human to change the DNA. And the GMO crops really are not safe.

I grew up, not knowing the difference, and with a dad that was always looking for more bushels per acre. I thought the same, for years, but have come to see and understand the difference. Just like eating meat that had growth hormones added, etc.

I could send my cattle to market and slaughter quicker, but prefer to raise thjem organically, sicne i'll be eating one of those steer.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #68  
Watched John stossel on Fox News the other night and the company that made the good cans went out of business because of law suits from dummies pouring gas on open flames. Put around 170 people out of work and some had worked there for over 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

I had heard that too. But I still look for them at garage and estate sales, and buy all that I can. I know coffee is supposed to be hot, and fuel is combustable. Maybe I learned because I had to, and didn't have a gov't and lawyers trying to prtect me from myself.