Oil & Fuel Fuel consumption

/ Fuel consumption #11  
Hmm... time for one of my really dumb questions.

* not asking this to be a smart hiney, I'm genuinly curious *

Why would anyone (other than someone in a business for profit) CARE what their usage per hour is? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I use my backhoe and some weeks will use 30 gallons of fuel and at other times (like now) doubt I've used 10 gallons of fuel over the last three months.

Obviously, I've not been using it as much over last three months, but when I DO use it... "it uses what it uses" and I just get more as I need it. I've never once thought to wonder what my usage per hour is... UNTIL I've read these comments /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif NOW I gotta admit, I'm curious and it's all your fault (collectively) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. (must be an infectious curiosity?)

That all said, I've STILL never paid attention to my usage, so unless you are a professional farmer which, I'd venture most here are not, why would you be concerned or is it mere curiosity?

Richard

/ Fuel consumption #12  
Glad you said it Richard. I thought the same thing myself. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Fuel consumption #13  
To do loader work you will use far less probably like a 1/2 gallon or less when mowing you will be close to doubling it like on the BX.

/ Fuel consumption #14  
Maybe Mr. Chalkley started it with all his tweeks & record keeping?

I'm not positive but it's my story and I'm sticking with it!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Fuel consumption #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why would anyone (other than someone in a business for profit) CARE what their usage per hour is? )</font>

Curiosity! And maybe braggin' rights? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Fuel consumption #16  
Bird,
I agree with the bragging rights thing. However with me it is a functional thing too. I like to know how many hours I can work my tractor before I have to go back to the shed for a refuel. I hate running out of fuel and taking a long walk /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The problem is worse for diesels that run dry of fuel.

/ Fuel consumption #17  
maybe I "cheat" by having a fuel gauge /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Fuel consumption #18  
If you go back and read the original post, it was asking about how many hours to run on a tank of fuel with a broken fuel guage /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif... Makes sense to me.

/ Fuel consumption #19  
/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Oops.... I musta missed that fine print!

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Fuel consumption #20  
Just curiosity, on my part -- sometimes it doesn't take a whole lot of concentration to run the tractor, so my mind goes wandering off to other things, like "Wonder how much fuel this thing is using?" or "Wonder if I should build a blimp?"