Fuel drum and pallet set up/

/ Fuel drum and pallet set up/ #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Not sure if this is the right place but here goes. I was at a gas station today and noticed a man fueling up a plastic drum set in a small plastic pallet. Looked like a 35 gallon drum, but could have been a 55. It was a trick set up with the drum in the middle of the plastic pallet, set in some sort of lip or depression, and strapped down. The pallet was small but fork lift compatible. It had a hand crank pump installed. I have searched high and low today to find anything similar with no luck.

I now kick myself for not wondering over and asking about it. It would be perfect for my needs.

Anyone have any resources for fuel rated plastic drums and a pallet that might work, or pictures of your set up? Anything would be helpful.

Thanks - Keith

/ Fuel drum and pallet set up/ #2  
I'm in the process of finding a better way to get fuel, what you describe sounds like something that I'd like to try.

/ Fuel drum and pallet set up/ #3  

Attachments

• image-2614167071.jpg
    image-2614167071.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 235
   / Fuel drum and pallet set up/ #4  
I'm wondering how you can run the forks in there without ripping a couple big gashes in the bottom of the barrel.

/ Fuel drum and pallet set up/ #5  
I just use a 55 gallon steel drum. The top is not removable, just has the two bungs. But I got a locking ring and welded a couple individual links of a 1/2 chain to it and clamped it to the top of the drum. This allows me to strap it down onto a trailer or the back of my truck. It would be easy to put the barrel on a pallet with blocks of wood screwed to hold it in the center (or if you wanted to get a little more detailed you could use a jigsaw to cut a circle out of plywood the size of the drum and screw a couple layers to the pallet). Then you would just need to make something for the straps to hook onto on the pallet.

/ Fuel drum and pallet set up/ #6  
How much do you need to move?
What are the LEO's like?

Down in Fulton, MS I've seen guys driving around with those 275 gallon IBC totes in the bed of their truck, just filled from the local station.

I picked up 2 of the Northern Tool 50 gallon transfer tanks off CL for $50@
481516_2000x2000.jpg

I've seen what looked like DIY setups with a 35 or 50 gallon drum in a "cradle".

Were you thinking of something like:
media.nl

Available at Eagle 1633 Spill Platform - Modular - Single Drum

/ Fuel drum and pallet set up/
How much do you need to move?
What are the LEO's like?

Down in Fulton, MS I've seen guys driving around with those 275 gallon IBC totes in the bed of their truck, just filled from the local station.

I picked up 2 of the Northern Tool 50 gallon transfer tanks off CL for $50@
481516_2000x2000.jpg

I've seen what looked like DIY setups with a 35 or 50 gallon drum in a "cradle".

Were you thinking of something like:
media.nl

Available at Eagle 1633 Spill Platform - Modular - Single Drum

Colorado CSP is pretty particular at what folks haul in and the fueling stations also check. I got asked when I used a regular red gas can and put diesel in it. So I invested in two yellow ones.

/ Fuel drum and pallet set up/
I'm going to check next week with the few oil service folks. I drive by a Pennzoil distributor every day and notice several varieties of barrels and totes that might work, along with the plastic pallets. Plenty of wood ones around too and I have a bunch I put hay on.

Thanks for the help

/ Fuel drum and pallet set up/ #10  
Close by to me is an industrial plant that gets their raw material in 275 gallon TOTE tanks and you can have as many of them as you want FOR FREE. They have a small amount of resin in them that I washed out with pressure washer and then diesel flush. They used to clean them very good but I guess that got too expensive for a FREE tank so now they are just well drained. Cant beat the price for a fuel storage tank. I suspect many TBN members could find the same thing if they looked. TOTE tanks are used a lot and they are mostly a 'one shot' deal so a business getting rid of them at no cost is good for the business. Folks sell them on Craiglist and other sites for $100 or more and I would bet they get them for free.

The good thing about them is they have built in fork lift ports, they have a steel reinforced cage around the plastic, they are mostly chemical resistant and have a built in bottom drain valve + a large top cap that has a standard bung so a fuel pump can be screwed directly into the top cap.
I use mine as a reservoir for spare fuel to complement my 100 gallon steel tank. This allows me to get free home delivery (150 gallon minimum) + I can really stock up when fuel prices are low. I do store all my fuel inside an enclosed building so weather and sunlight do not affect it or the container.
For those who prefer to buy small quantities, 35 or 55 gallon drums filled at a local station and mounted to a pallet are cheap way to go albeit a bit more expensive on purchase price of the fuel.