Fuel drum and pallet set up/

/ Fuel drum and pallet set up/
Saw is rated for 21', but in the picture, I'm 'sneaking up' on a 30' beam. You saw 21', then cut the slab off with a chain saw (see that notch where the saw overcut ?), slide the log forward or back, depending on where the extra length was, and continue to that cut on that side. It's a pain, but occasionally for some special need, I'll do it.
The engineer in me is impressed. Do you work with the timber framers?

/ Fuel drum and pallet set up/ #22  
I store 15 drums of diesel/gasoline (9-6) and use my drums to transport fuel home which I then use a 12v transfer pump to put up in my large tanks (gas-300, diesel -250). I made some wood pallets that all my drums go in, makes them easy to move around with tractor forks, and keeps the drum on the pallet with the sides.

ry%3D400
Is there some special reason that you use 15 x 55 gallon drums (825 gallon)rather than a larger tank say 500 or 1000 gallon that could be filled at your place by a local fuel distributor.

/ Fuel drum and pallet set up/ #23  
The engineer in me is impressed. Do you work with the timber framers?

No, just work with myself. I was needing that for a project around here.

/ Fuel drum and pallet set up/ #24  
Is there some special reason that you use 15 x 55 gallon drums (825 gallon)rather than a larger tank say 500 or 1000 gallon that could be filled at your place by a local fuel distributor.

Well, I have a 300gal gasoline and a 250gal diesel tank in my 'gas station' (see below). The other 15 barrels I store in a different location and are my longer term reserve. The reason for 15 is that is what fits that location. (a cool, dark storage place)

I rotate them thru the 'gas station' tanks as they empty, then refill the drums and return the to storage. They sit in storage anywhere from a year to 3-4 years. Sometimes I do get a fuel distributor to come fill the tanks and any empty drums I happen to have, or sometimes I take the drums to town and fill them. I simply try to rotate my storage around so there is fairly fresh fuel there all the time. I use PRI products for fuel preservation both while in the tanks and in the drums.

I could have gone with bigger tanks, but since they are vented, I don't like to keep TOO much in them. The venting (especially on gas) is where you run into problems with condensation and evaporation of the lighter components of fuel.

ry%3D400

/ Fuel drum and pallet set up/
Well I picked up the HD blue plastic drum for $10 and I started a new thread up in Oil, Fuel & Lubricants forum about what hand rotary pump I should get and filter set up. I also asked how to properly clean the drum as it had Methanol in it, and possible a bit of water that will not drain out by tipping upside down.

My new thread is here.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...3-barrel-rotary-hand-pump-set.html?highlight=

Any help would be appreciated

/ Fuel drum and pallet set up/ #26  
The square or rectangular tank shown above is a great way to go, but there are some great ideas posted here. Bolt the square or rectangular tank to one or two pallets and fork lift on or off. Get a little bigger one-100 gallon--and the fuel truck will deliver to you. Problem solved.

Last edited: