Fuel pump issue

/ Fuel pump issue
I feel that I owe an update on the situation.
In short, the engine is now running perfectly fine again.

As my research indicated that it should be pretty much impossible to mount this pump out of time enough that it will not start, I removed the pump from the engine, again.
I then finally managed to get in contact with someone with knowledge and equipment to test the pump, and the tests showed that the pump was only delivering about 30% of the fuel that it was supposed to. While assembling the pump, I had apparently mounted one of the plunger rollers upside-down, causing the issue. Once the pump was assembled correctly, the fuel-output was measured to be within spec.
When the pump was mounted to the engine, timing marks aligned, and the injector lines cracked open, a much larger amount of fuel was sprayed out of the injector lines, and when the injector lines was tightened up again, it started after the 2nd attempt.

Thank you for your assistance.

/ Fuel pump issue #52  
It takes guts to admit a mistake like that. Thank you for updating the post. If it keeps one of us from making the same mistake it was worth the 15 minutes of shame.

/ Fuel pump issue #53  
So everybody that stated it was not possible to assemble it "out of time" were correct, everybody that swore it was "timed" wrong was wrong?

Simple mistake in assembly sure caused a lot of heart burn.... Glad it's all ok now....

Dale

/ Fuel pump issue #54  
Did an R&R injection pump on my Bobcat Loader, 4.236 Perkins Diesel. It was making oil, so I changed out the mechanical lift pump first, no luck. I went with a recon from Oregon Fuel Injection. I did have to wait 2 weeks for them to build me one, but I think they are an O.K. outfit. About 1/3 the time and aggravation of a Dodge 1st gen VE change out.

0617220936.jpg

/ Fuel pump issue #56  
the engine and the injector pump in the service manual. Failure to follow these procedures, means you are shooting in the dark, with a blind fold on after having bern spun until your brain does not know up from right, right from down or down from left.

Last edited: