Fuel what do you use

/ Fuel what do you use #11  
For years I was using regular pump diesel from the gas station in my Kubota G5200 mower. Added a few ounces 2-cycle oil to 5gl can just for extra lubricity. Never an issue.

But since new L3301 purchase, been using red dye ORD from local oil company. Kubota dealer said to use ORD only. Said they seen some issues with consumer pump diesel clogging filters and more frequent regen cycles. Oil company owner said ORD has a higher cetane rating, at about 50.

Not sure how solid those claims are, but with about 22 hours on my L3301 it has yet to do a regen cycle.

/ Fuel what do you use #12  
For years I was using regular pump diesel from the gas station in my Kubota G5200 mower. Added a few ounces 2-cycle oil to 5gl can just for extra lubricity. Never an issue.

But since new L3301 purchase, been using red dye ORD from local oil company. Kubota dealer said to use ORD only. Said they seen some issues with consumer pump diesel clogging filters and more frequent regen cycles. Oil company owner said ORD has a higher cetane rating, at about 50.

Not sure how solid those claims are, but with about 22 hours on my L3301 it has yet to do a regen cycle.

I would have to say that your dealer was mistaken, also the cetane rating that I'm seeing on the pumps is 40 for ORD.
The only reason for plugging filters would be using dirty cans and/or funnels.

/ Fuel what do you use #13  
I would have to say that your dealer was mistaken, also the cetane rating that I'm seeing on the pumps is 40 for ORD.
Or a station that has alge, or water in the tanks.

Aaron Z

/ Fuel what do you use #14  
Or a station that has alge, or water in the tanks.

Aaron Z

That is possible, that would mean that their filters where getting plugged and bypassing and every diesel using that fuel would be in there complaining.

/ Fuel what do you use #15  

The Cetane number is 40 minimum. Most likely it is around 49-52. It is difficult for a refiner to lower the Cetane to 40. Where I worked we were consistently hitting 51 on Cetane.

/ Fuel what do you use #16  
this throws it all off..
Aviation gasoline 80/87 red dye
Aviation gasoline 82UL purple dye
Aviation gasoline 100LL blue dye
Aviation gasoline 100/130 green dye
any of those are better for an older tractor, because they contain lead, except the 82UL which is unleaded..

Don't think you had better put any of that in a Diesel tractor. If you do you will probably be posting about how the dealer and manufacture will not repair under warranty.

What Is The Difference Between Clear And Dyed Diesel?

/ Fuel what do you use #17  
Red dyed fuel is for off road as mentioned. Either will work but why pay the tax for an off road application? My .02
I will say that there is no ORD near me so I run pump when I need it, if I am going over a town or two I can get ORD which I do and I try to keep a few gallons on hand.

/ Fuel what do you use #18  
Is #1 home heating oil ULSD? I use the Power Service additives for lubricity. 20 miles to a service station.

/ Fuel what do you use #19  
Issue i n TN and KY is the sulfur content. If I go to TN (10 miles from the line) I can get off road ULSD, LSD and HSD. If I go to KY I can get only LSD and who knows. I say who knows because there is no label on the pump, and if I ask they don't know.

So in all my old stuff, it can burn what ever, but the JD tractor and Kubota RTV need at least LSD and now the F3990 needs ULSD. I have even found LSD at a station pump for road use to this day. Folks pulling their new truck in an filling up that don't notice the label will mess there truck up

/ Fuel what do you use #20  
Issue i n TN and KY is the sulfur content. If I go to TN (10 miles from the line) I can get off road ULSD, LSD and HSD. If I go to KY I can get only LSD and who knows. I say who knows because there is no label on the pump, and if I ask they don't know.

So in all my old stuff, it can burn what ever, but the JD tractor and Kubota RTV need at least LSD and now the F3990 needs ULSD. I have even found LSD at a station pump for road use to this day. Folks pulling their new truck in an filling up that don't notice the label will mess there truck up

When I buy fuel at the station I make sure the pump says ULSD. Who really knows? Don't think the Regulators send out chemists to check. ULSD does have a milder smell.