Fuel what do you use

/ Fuel what do you use #21  
After they changed to low sulfur diesel I had to rebuild my fuel system on my 99 F350, The seals in the fuel bowl melted ....

I am surprised older tractors didn't have the same problems.

/ Fuel what do you use #22  
That's different, because the sulfur is a lubricant, and with lowering the sulfur you get more wear. Melting would make me think along the lines if someone mixed kerosene with it

/ Fuel what do you use #23  
Is #1 home heating oil ULSD? I use the Power Service additives for lubricity. 20 miles to a service station.

No, #2 heating oil is ULSD (in many areas).

Issue i n TN and KY is the sulfur content. If I go to TN (10 miles from the line) I can get off road ULSD, LSD and HSD. If I go to KY I can get only LSD and who knows. I say who knows because there is no label on the pump, and if I ask they don't know.

So in all my old stuff, it can burn what ever, but the JD tractor and Kubota RTV need at least LSD and now the F3990 needs ULSD. I have even found LSD at a station pump for road use to this day. Folks pulling their new truck in an filling up that don't notice the label will mess there truck up

In the continental US, I am 99% certain that it is ULSD, no matter what the sticker on pump says.
LSD and HSD were both completely eliminated as of 2014:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low-sulfur_diesel said:
There are exemptions for small refiners of non-road, locomotive and marine diesel fuel that allow for 500 ppm diesel to remain in the system until 2014. After December 1, 2014 all highway, non-road, locomotive and marine diesel fuel produced and imported will be ULSD.

Aaron Z

/ Fuel what do you use #24  
In the continental US, I am 99% certain that it is ULSD, no matter what the sticker on pump says.
LSD and HSD were both completely eliminated as of 2014:

Good thing there is a 1% variance otherwise I might ask for some proof

/ Fuel what do you use #25  
I just want to do what's best for my Tier IV tractor. To much money involved to scrimp on the wrong fuel.

/ Fuel what do you use #26  
Where do you buy off road diesel? Gas stations around me only sell ultra low sulfur diesel with road taxes. I doubt my heating oil dealer would let me fill up my 5 gallon gas cans with #2 heating oil!

/ Fuel what do you use #27  
That's different, because the sulfur is a lubricant, and with lowering the sulfur you get more wear. Melting would make me think along the lines if someone mixed kerosene with it

I am not trying to hijack this thread, but the fuel formulations can and will affect all equipment. The rebuild kits are available through numerous sources for the 7.3 Powerstrokes due to the high failure rates caused by the reformulated fuels. I also had a 53 Oliver Super 55 that I would have to add "Lead Substitute " to the fuel to keep it running right.

If you look at Welcome to guzzle's Powerstroke Fuel Bowl Rebuild Web Page

"Although the fuel manufacturers have not claimed responsibility, the number of reported fuel leaks on the 7.3's can not reasonably be accounted to coincidence since the introduction of ULSD. What I have found is that some of the chemical additives in ULSD are separating the PTFE coatings that Ford uses on their fuel and oil seals from the o-rings themselves.

When the coatings separates two things occur:
The PTFE coating does not separate evenly, leaving gaps that fuel can travel past the sealing surface causing the "leak" to appear, usually on top of the engine..
Most all of the factory o-rings are made of Buna-N which has a greater percentage of swell and the least amount of resistance to fuel permeation than other elastomers offered in the industry, namely Vitonョ. Fuel permeation and swell causes the elastomer to become soft and unable to seal the fuel pressures found in the 7.3 fuel injection system."

/ Fuel what do you use #28  
Where do you buy off road diesel? Gas stations around me only sell ultra low sulfur diesel with road taxes. I doubt my heating oil dealer would let me fill up my 5 gallon gas cans with #2 heating oil!

Have been buying on road motor fuel(and paying the tax). When needed, I've added #1 Home Heating oil with some additives for lubricity. I can never remember to call the fuel Jobber to get a definitive answer on if it is ULSD.

/ Fuel what do you use #29  
I use heating oil in my '91 7.3l plow truck also. It is never on the highway and is unregistered. No problems in the past 20 years and I've even changed the oil once.

/ Fuel what do you use #30  
#1 fuel oil is kerosene
#1 diesel fuel is kerosene
#2 home heating oil is #2 diesel
depending on your area winter blend will usually be #2 with additives until the temp get too low at which time #1 is blended in till at extremely low temps #1 is the recommended fuel.
Some engines will call for winter fuel as high as 50 F