Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way

/ Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way #1  

wroughtn_harv

Tractor
2013 Volvo MC85C
I do things a little different from most folks most times. One of those things is the way I build an out building.

This particular project is a twenty four by twenty four foot horse barn whatever.

The principles are the same whether the building is a garage, a barn, a shed, whatever.

Here's a shot of the ground before we start.

Attachments

• 496105-Image008.jpg
    496105-Image008.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 2,708
   / Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way
And this is the way it looked at the end of the day. Eleven posts concreted in with five thousand psi concrete one foot by four foot deep holes.

Attachments

• 496107-Image011.jpg
    496107-Image011.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,487
   / Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way #3  
ok, we'll be watching. be sure to keep us "posted". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keep it up newbie!

Seriously, we need some characters around here with a sense of humor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We didn't get back to this job until after lunch so it was a short day.

Here's all we got done.

Attachments

• 496686-Image007.jpg
    496686-Image007.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 2,059
Detail shot of an unfinished corner.

The framing square is to answer a question everyone seems to have these days about barns. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 496688-Image002.jpg
    496688-Image002.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,906
Connection at an opening.

Attachments

• 496690-Image003.jpg
    496690-Image003.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,653
There will be three purlins for each wall. They not only are welded into place but every piece is cut with a hole saw and each joint is overlapped.

This is labor intensive I agree. It might even be considered overkill. Something I'm often accused of doing.

But think about it.

With this system the skill of the weldor isn't as important as the accuracy of the cutting in the holes.

The other thing is the purlins are laid horizontally for a very good reason. Interior finish out. Most metal buildings either have a blown in insulation or a stick built interior wall system to use conventional readily available insulation.

With my system the outer skin is attached with conventional self tapping screws. Then standard insulation can be placed in between the purlins. And the interior walls can be attached with self tapping screws.

So it's a little more labor intensive framing up the metal part. But when it comes to finish out it saves effort and materials.

Tomorrow we should have it framed up including the trusses and rafters. I think you'll like it.

Attachments

• 496692-Image004.jpg
    496692-Image004.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,763
   / Garage--barn--shelter--building built my way #8  
<font color="blue"> "...when it comes to finish out it saves effort and materials." </font>

Harv, you think so far ahead you make me dizzy. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I believe that's why I was the parallelogram in the square world of telco. I really didn't fit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We didn't get as much done today as I wanted. But then, that's life in the city when you're so close to the country. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We got the rest of the side wall framing complete. The open area was a challenge. The roof is cantilevered out three feet and there's a twenty four foot clear span. So that took a little southern engineering. (Southern engineering is similar to yankee ingenuity in the way a truck is similar to a car)

Here's a shot at the end of the day. You can't see it but my tail was tucked firmly between my legs.

Attachments

• 497297-Image005.jpg
    497297-Image005.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,908