Garage door Header framing, Crazy idea????

/ Garage door Header framing, Crazy idea???? #21  
Did not hear back whether truss was gable style or same as the other trusses. As Backdoor stated, makes all the difference in the world. The front over hang needs to be considered as well as snow load. From your pictures it looks like you have 14" (or more) room for a header. A pair of 1 3/4 x 14" lvl's should be fine with double jack studs.
If it has a true truss above than less header is needed. Too much header is never a bad thing, but too little could be disastrous. If it were me, I would do the header anyway and bolt a steel hook on for lifting loads.
It might also be easier to jack a new header straight up rather than moving all garage door tacks etc. to scab on horizontally.
Do you ever see your neighborhood seasoned builder around anywhere????

Last edited:
   / Garage door Header framing, Crazy idea????
Sorry for being out of pocket guys. The area directly over the header is the last truss. Excuse my ignorance here, what do you mean by gable style truss or normal truss? BTW Lostcause, did you post this build/remodel a while back? It sure looked familiar. Sometimes it is hard to keep all these great projects clear in my head.
Thanks, Dave

/ Garage door Header framing, Crazy idea???? #23  
Dave, a gable truss has vertical 2x4's usually 16" on center like a regular wall and has no clear span characteristics. A standard truss has angled 2x4's similar to the picture you posted suggesting zig zag blocks over your existing header. Those blocks, by the way, would do nothing to support a load because there is not enough depth to be effective.

/ Garage door Header framing, Crazy idea???? #24  
Sorry for being out of pocket guys. The area directly over the header is the last truss. Excuse my ignorance here, what do you mean by gable style truss or normal truss? BTW Lostcause, did you post this build/remodel a while back? It sure looked familiar. Sometimes it is hard to keep all these great projects clear in my head.
Thanks, Dave

truss.JPG

The 'common' truss is load bearing and would not require a header; the gable truss is not intended to span an opening it only transfers roof load directly to the wall below. With sheathing the gable truss is probably capable of spanning the opening (as in the picture above of the garage being raised) but that is a risk you have to take. I know building code here does not care where your span is (end or side wall), nor what kind of truss you have on your gable - the header specs are the same.

/ Garage door Header framing, Crazy idea???? #25  
We size the header based on the PLF and any point loads from Girders that is cared by it.

/ Garage door Header framing, Crazy idea???? #26  
Thanks, Dave

i did the garage lifting in 2009. i'm sure i've posted a few pics of it at different times and to illustrate different points.

i agree there is a load to be supported by even the end truss and header on a gable end, but it is truly minimal compared to a header that has to support the ends of multiple roof trusses. the point was brought up about the differences in a standard w-braced truss, as opposed to a gable end truss. the gable end truss is not designed to take any load, since the interior members do not act in a direction to transfer the loads. it is framed in that manner to facilitate the attachment of sheathing. however, as long as you have plywood/osb sheathing, then you in fact have a load carrying truss. the sheathing performs the same function as the interior members of the truss.

i suppose some people will balk at that notion, because they can cite numbers form truss manufacturers about the carrying capacity of conventional trusses, but they don't have any numbers to prove that a sheathed gable end truss will support any weight. more than likely they also wouldn't believe that a loaf of bread had flour in it unless it had a label stating so. the gable end in my garage was stick built like a gable end truss, and at one point there was not even a header supporting it during the remodel.

from the posts here you're obviously getting every end of the spectrum, so i'd say that you're not going to get a consensus on what to do. if you're really still unsure, hire a contractor and let him be responsible for it. personally, i'm always amused when i look through the posts here. i get a lot of family and friends that bring me things to fix, ask me how i would do something, or have me tow/haul something for them. they do it because they all consider me to be someone who does it far safer or designs it stronger than they would. funny part is, compared to the posts from people here, i'm probably in the bottom 5% for safety.

/ Garage door Header framing, Crazy idea????
All right guys, the gable truss description makes perfect sense. I had never heard this framing described like that. The truss's are standard truss's. I have been dealing with some leach field issues and this project has taken a back burner. I really appreciate all the help and will take it all into consideration.
Thank you for the help!!
Dave