garage door treshold

/ garage door treshold #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
Anyone solve the problem of water getting under your shop door? I've got a monlithic pour for a shop floor. Rain gets under the door goes along the wall framing. I want to stop this. Have you tried the rubber threshold you glue down and the door sits on it. Any other ideas that have worked for you?

/ garage door treshold #2  
Hey Mechanic,
I'm going to watch this thread myself. I have a very similar issue in my shop.
Mike

/ garage door treshold #3  
I have used the rubber thresholds for customers that were desperate, with little success.

I suggest either: Saw out, and re-pour the area under the door, 1 inch lower, and create a water stop.

Or, put a trench drain close to the door, either inside or outside.

/ garage door treshold #4  
What about a "shed roof" above the door? Either that or remove the flat area in front of and below the door, then repour with a grade on the concrete...

/ garage door treshold #5  
I would fire your concrete guy for doing the pour all wrong.
Build a form from 1x lumber and pour a lip all the way across just inside the doors to keep the water out. It'll only be 3/4" high so not gonna be a big thing to get over.
Or:
Rent a saw and cut a drain across the front of the doorways.

/ garage door treshold #6  
When I had my new garage floor poured in May, the concrete guy pitched the last 6" about 1"to the outside.
I asked, "Is that neccesary?" he then said, "If you don't want any water in your garage it is." :cool:

Good luck with your solution.

/ garage door treshold #7  
When I had my new garage floor poured in May, the concrete guy pitched the last 6" about 1"to the outside.
I asked, "Is that neccesary?" he then said, "If you don't want any water in your garage it is." :cool:

Good luck with your solution.

And that IS the right answer.

I had the same problem when I changed my old garage door, it was the one piece type door with a weather flap on the outside. The new one had the "bulb" type seal on the bottom. Since the floor was poured for the one piece door, it was flat on the edge.

I spent about $15 for a diamond "turbo" blade for my 4.5 " angle grinder and a cup stone for a bigger grinder. Sliced a series of slots in the edge of the doorway, chipped them out with a masonry chisel, then ground the bevel smooth with the cup stone. End of problem.

Those cheap little diamond blades will cut even 30 year old concrete like it's butter, rocks same thing.

Sean

/ garage door treshold #8  
same problem for me on a shop door the concrete guy didnt put a threshold in. I got a piece of 3x3/8 flat iron cut to length so it'd just fit between the door tracks, siliconed it down under the door seal. just a couple damp spots at the door corners after that.

/ garage door treshold #9  
I had the same problem and bought a solid rubber threshold seal from Amazon a couple years ago. You glue it down with liquid nails that came with the seal. Then lower the door for a day or so to make sure it sets up. I think I paid $40 for mine, but didnt see it for sure when looking on Amazon just now.

Amazon.com: garage door threshold seal

Eddie

/ garage door treshold #10  
My shop and my garage have the one inch recess right under the door. Works like a charm. I'd suggest, to do it right, is to cut and re-pour or do the diamond saw thing, and make your own.

In my opinion, adding a lip above a smooth floor is inviting a trip hazzard. I KNOW I would trip, Murphies Law, ya know.