Garage Floor Coating

/ Garage Floor Coating #11  
Looks real good Bird:thumbsup: Cant tell from the photos, but I know on some floorings you can add a slip resistant granule or "chips" to add some slip protection.

I use a product called "Shark Grip" for ramps on store approaches and on some occasions even fine sand or glass beads, ends up like 100 grit sandpaper .
Dennis,
That works. Can he top coat his paint with "Shark Grip" without changing the color? It will probably make it much harder to clean the floor but a lot safer for him and his wife.
Ron

/ Garage Floor Coating #12  
My dad did his about 12 years ago. Huge mistake. Slippery and water just stands for days after snow melt, ect. Also very slick with saw dust on it when working on projects.

Chris

/ Garage Floor Coating
My dad did his about 12 years ago. Huge mistake. Slippery and water just stands for days after snow melt, ect. Also very slick with saw dust on it when working on projects.

Chris

They do have some stuff to add to the paint when you mix it to keep it from being slippery, but I didn't use it. Of course in my case, the only water will be if I wash out the garage, or what drips off the vehicles if we come in when it's raining. And all my sawdust production is in the shop at the back of the house instead of in the garage.:D

/ Garage Floor Coating
I wonder how soon you can use it after a new floor is put down? Also if I may ask, how expensive was it and what kind of coverage did you get ?

The instructions say drying time depends on temperature and humidity (no surprises there), but dry enough for "light foot traffic in 12-16 hours, heavy items and normal foot traffic in 24-48 hours, FOR FULL CURE AND VEHICLE TRAFFIC, ALLOW 3 DAYS."

I intend to move the washer & dryer back in there Tuesday or Wednesday, and since I'm in no hurry, I'll probably wait a week before parking the vehicles back in there to give it plenty of time to cure.

I bought the 2-gallon kit from Home Depot for $107 plus tax, but we had over half a gallon left over. Of course the one gallon kit ($65.97) wouldn't have been quite enough.

Of course, in addition to the kit that includes the base, the activator, the etching powder to mix with water, the decorative chips that you may use (I did) or not, an instruction sheet, and an instruction DVD, you need a stiff bristle brush, some kind of degreaser (naturally the instructions mention theirs but I called and the guy suggested any degreaser, including Simple Green, which I had and used), a squeegee to push the excess water out when you finish scrubbing and etching, a 1/2" nap 9" roller and pan, and a paint brush.

/ Garage Floor Coating #15  
So THAT'S what a clean garage looks like! :shocked::D

Looks very nice! I bet it will be very easy to clean.

Joe

/ Garage Floor Coating #16  
I put it on my garage floor about 8 yrs ago, am happy with it. I put the chips on it, I like the looks of it. I used the leftover and did a portion of my basement floor, it is really nice there.
I added a pic showing before and after section of floor.

Attachments

• 2004garagefloor.jpg
    2004garagefloor.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 239
   / Garage Floor Coating
Buckeye, the light and angle of my pictures doesn't show the chips as well as your picture, but mine does look just like yours. The kit comes with plenty of those "decorative chips".

/ Garage Floor Coating #18  
like it//////////

/ Garage Floor Coating #19  
Dennis,
That works. Can he top coat his paint with "Shark Grip" without changing the color? It will probably make it much harder to clean the floor but a lot safer for him and his wife.
Ron

Ron, I bet they have a clear finish he could use, or he could re-top it, same color with a little additive.

Shark grip is nice since it doesn't effect sweeping near as much as sand or a coarser grit, but seems to work best when the surface is damp. High heels will still pose a problem, so Bird make sure you aint wearing high heels if its wet!!:D

/ Garage Floor Coating #20  
If this is what HD sells, then I put it down in a floor in FL. Looks good but I found that the hot tires after driving back into the garage would lift the paint....anyone else?

I put carpet runner pcs. down under the tires which seem to do the trick.