Garage/Shop Projected started Here are some Pic's

/ Garage/Shop Projected started Here are some Pic's
Thanks, Got the battens up on the door side yesterday, Now I need the right side up and the top rear, Getting there, wish the weather would straighten up.

/ Garage/Shop Projected started Here are some Pic's #122  
Joe I have been following this thread from day one, amazing job, you should be very pleased. Finally, getting to the fun part, the work on the inside is not far off. I will be building a bank barn similar to yours this year and have a couple questions based on your experience with this build.

1) You live in a cold climate as do I, have you noticed any condensation issues with the metal roof?
2) I assume you plan to insulate, do you know what products you will be using yet?
3) If you do not stain or paint the siding, will it eventually begin to weather and turn gray in color? I ask this question because I am not a spring chicken anymore and do not necessarily want to have to stain or paint every 3-5 years.
4) Have there been "gottchas" along the way that caught you off guard and caused a change in plans?

You have a hefty monetary and labor investment and from everything I can see it is going to be worth every penny and jug of sweat you put in it. Great Job!!!

/ Garage/Shop Projected started Here are some Pic's #123  
As you are thinking about the floor, whenever you get a chance read about the epoxy coatings' sensitivities. When I looked in to them, there were a lot of pretty common substances that would ruin them. I do some painting and the occasional gasoline will spill, sometimes a battery will run over, etc. Once I understood all the sensitivities, I went with Ashford Formula instead of any coating. Many benefits, completely different approach, I feel the look after aging is awesome, and it is permanent. GREAT LOOKING BARN/SHOP.

Never heard of Ashford Formula do you have any good links for me to read up on it?

1. I have not noticed any issues yet, The key I think will be to have good venting, I vent all of my soffits and I am not insulating near the roof, the sides there will be for storage ( Just put the floor down today ) I will be insulating the inside walls and ceiling of the trusses.

2. A Friend just the spray on foam insulation, I would like to do that but just the material alone is expensive, I think I may just go with Regular Fiberglass insulation, either in rolls or bats, Prob R 21 on walls and R 30 for ceiling.

3. As far as Staining or what ever I am going to do to the outside is still up in the air, I like the old Natural Dark Brown and yellowish looking barns ( Usually yellow under the eves ) I am not a fan of the Gray look. I may let it age a bit and see what happens, I hear even un treats Rough cut Hemlock and pine will last over 100 Years being left natural and long as it is allowed to dry and not stay wet all of the time. I know I will not be painting it, if anything I'll stain. Like you I don't want to be doing it all of the time.

4. Not to many few little things here and there but nothing major I did change things here and there but not because I had to just because I thought it was better.

I don't have that much wrapped up in it, I have had a lot of help from friends, I am friends with the local lumber yard so they gave me good deals and stuff and most of the Lumber and siding came from the local saw mill which is also a friend so I got a great deal there also, If I would have had to pay full price and paid a Company to do it I would def have a lot more in it.

/ Garage/Shop Projected started Here are some Pic's #125  
Ashford Formula
What Is Ashford Formula? - YouTube
They advertise it as a concrete densifier, which is a nice feature for abrasion and chip resistance. But I especially like the looks of it, and the fact that nothing I spill on the floor makes any damage to the Ashford. Simply mopping it once in a while will eventually bring up the sheen you see in the video examples. I believe there is a way to accelerate the process if you want it to look shinier sooner, but I can wait a couple years.
Its not for everyone, but fun to think it will still be working 50 years from now. Try that with epoxy.

I'll Have to do more research, DO you know how it is done? Is it hard to do? Any special tools? I'll have to try and locate a number for the company.

/ Garage/Shop Projected started Here are some Pic's #127  
Do an Internet search for this and you can learn a lot more. It needs to be buffed to keep up the shine and there are comments that it stains with chemicals. I know nothing about the product but found that info on a simple search of Bing and Google. I searched pretty thoroughly before I went with high solids, two part sovent based epoxy a few years ago and do not recall this product. I went with what I saw in commercial buildings subject to lots of abuse.

/ Garage/Shop Projected started Here are some Pic's #128  
Nice shop and a good job well done. As an Aussie, I've got to remark on you guys' use of timber. How do you get on with the local termite population? Also, too, anything timber is good fuel for our bushfires. My own 'shed' (that's what we call 'em here) is 12m square (about 40 feet) and around 20 feet high. There's a mezzanine area with stair access. Anyway, the whole thing is steel framed, concrete floored and steel clad and roofed. Doorway access, besides two 'normal' swing doors, is by steel roller doors. Very little to burn or be eaten. The high roof has proved very handy, in that I've installed a wireless remote-controlled electric hoist, on a traverse beam. It'll pick up 1/2 ton. As I'm a one-man band, it has proved its worth many times over and the mezzanine has become very much more accessible and useful. Probably, in your cold climate, the steel mightn't be too good a heating proposition! Here, though. the opposite is the case in that the shed is pretty much uninhabitable on hot days. Two weeks ago, we had 114F in the shade, in Sydney.

Termites are not a big issue around here and neither are brush fires, There are alot of people that have steel buildings here, I was going to put one up myself, But with my Wood connections it just wasn't worth the price difference for me.

/ Garage/Shop Projected started Here are some Pic's #130  
Nice shop and a good job well done. As an Aussie, I've got to remark on you guys' use of timber. How do you get on with the local termite population? Also, too, anything timber is good fuel for our bushfires. My own 'shed' (that's what we call 'em here) is 12m square (about 40 feet) and around 20 feet high. There's a mezzanine area with stair access. Anyway, the whole thing is steel framed, concrete floored and steel clad and roofed. Doorway access, besides two 'normal' swing doors, is by steel roller doors. Very little to burn or be eaten. The high roof has proved very handy, in that I've installed a wireless remote-controlled electric hoist, on a traverse beam. It'll pick up 1/2 ton. As I'm a one-man band, it has proved its worth many times over and the mezzanine has become very much more accessible and useful. Probably, in your cold climate, the steel mightn't be too good a heating proposition! Here, though. the opposite is the case in that the shed is pretty much uninhabitable on hot days. Two weeks ago, we had 114F in the shade, in Sydney.

We have both termites and brush fires here in the states also. It is more a regional thing though so it depends where you are building. I know a number of South Coastal areas that build most everything with pressure treated wood due to termites. Some West Coast areas use concrete and steel for most everything due to fire issues. All depends on where you are. Nice to get the Aussie perspective.

MarkV