Gas air compressor

/ Gas air compressor #21  
If you are carrying a fuel tank in the bed up front where would you put the large air compressor and the 20 ton floor jack? How heavy is the pneumatic floor jack? A typical 20 cfm engine driven air compressor weighs about 400 lbs. and is fairly tall. Assuming your next truck has an 8' dually bed I doubt you would have the needed clearance for the goose neck in sharp turns.

4570Man makes a good point about using a remote bottle jack. Much easier to store and carry than a large floor jack and is self contained. This is the best solution mentioned so far and is a safe way to go.

In the rare event of a tire failure on the road or in a customer field I would unload the tractor and use the fel to pick up the trailer. Always that possibility too. Slide a jack stand or blocks under it for safety.

I suspect you would be better served to keep the large floor jack and a large compressor in the shop. Why bring this stuff with you on tractor jobs? Nothing wrong with being prepared but do you need to have a tire shop on wheels for the rare tire change? Man handling this equipment would be more time consuming than what time you would save waiting for a small compressor to catch up.

There have been some good suggestions by others here that are easily used with good portability. I would suggest carrying these items if you are concerned about being prepared. I do carry other tools, but for the purposes of this conversation.

Stihl back pack blower you have Makes blowing the dust off the tractor and filters a 5 minute job at most.
The hydraulic pump, hose and bottle jack Adds a lot of safety and good for the truck, tractor and trailer tire changes and repairs.
Good pull bar and sockets to fit lug nuts These always work with no charging needed, include all lug nut sizes for all trailers towed.
Tire plug repair kit Cheap, compact and may save you a lot of grief with loss of tire fluid ballast, may not need to remove
the tires until you get back home.
Portable air tank Air up to 175 psi before leaving home.
Spare tires for truck and trailer If you change out a spare tire you don't need air for the tires.

/ Gas air compressor
If you are carrying a fuel tank in the bed up front where would you put the large air compressor and the 20 ton floor jack? How heavy is the pneumatic floor jack? A typical 20 cfm engine driven air compressor weighs about 400 lbs. and is fairly tall. Assuming your next truck has an 8' dually bed I doubt you would have the needed clearance for the goose neck in sharp turns.

4570Man makes a good point about using a remote bottle jack. Much easier to store and carry than a large floor jack and is self contained. This is the best solution mentioned so far and is a safe way to go.

In the rare event of a tire failure on the road or in a customer field I would unload the tractor and use the fel to pick up the trailer. Always that possibility too. Slide a jack stand or blocks under it for safety.

I suspect you would be better served to keep the large floor jack and a large compressor in the shop. Why bring this stuff with you on tractor jobs? Nothing wrong with being prepared but do you need to have a tire shop on wheels for the rare tire change? Man handling this equipment would be more time consuming than what time you would save waiting for a small compressor to catch up.

There have been some good suggestions by others here that are easily used with good portability. I would suggest carrying these items if you are concerned about being prepared. I do carry other tools, but for the purposes of this conversation.

Stihl back pack blower you have Makes blowing the dust off the tractor and filters a 5 minute job at most.
The hydraulic pump, hose and bottle jack Adds a lot of safety and good for the truck, tractor and trailer tire changes and repairs.
Good pull bar and sockets to fit lug nuts These always work with no charging needed, include all lug nut sizes for all trailers towed.
Tire plug repair kit Cheap, compact and may save you a lot of grief with loss of tire fluid ballast, may not need to remove
the tires until you get back home.
Portable air tank Air up to 175 psi before leaving home.
Spare tires for truck and trailer If you change out a spare tire you don't need air for the tires.

The compressor would go at the front of the trailer. New tractor will have to have the bucket setting on the neck if I have the batwing on. There's no more room in the bed. Already buy long bed trucks. Other option is my wife wants my truck when I get a 17 dually so with an l shaped tank I could possible have the compressor ride on it. The trucks come with cameras for the bed so seeing that ball won't be critical. Depending how everything rides, I might be having o go up to a 30+5 for extra room. A 20 ton bottle jack doesn't take up much room. Already measured and the compressor will fit in a job box we already have if I take the lid off. It'll make it easier to load and unload with forks and an area to put all the accessories together.

I appreciate all the different ideas however, I was asking about experience with 4 compressors. I know what works and what would work for me as far as concept. I have carried the bobcat and pancake before. I know it'll work but I am not happy with the air output. It would take a lot longer than desired to keep up with the jack and you can usually only get little bursts for the impact. It was bought for the tires on the rv and rhino when we travelled with it. Tires were g rated at 110 psi and it was very hard to find a place to add any if needed.

Brett

/ Gas air compressor #23  
Make sure you remove the solid steel steel bottom and replace it with mesh if using the job box. Without air rising through the box the compressor will overheat. When I installed the welder and compressor in my service truck I had #9 mesh on the floor beneath the engines

A longer trailer so that you can better position the tractor would be helpful. Looking at the picture posted earlier the tractor was too far forward of the trailer axles.

I was not referring to the ball hitch, I meant the goose neck frame work in turns which swings towards the front of the bed.

Good luck with it, hope it all works out for you.

/ Gas air compressor
Found another one to look at. It's a rebranded mi-t-m from John Deere. Puts out 29 cfm at 175, prolly higher at 90psi. Msrp is $2500 but it already comes with a regulator.

Still on the hunt. Had a shear pin bust while shredding today with a buddies shredder while I figure out what to replace my mx7 with. It was a nightmare to get it out of the input shaft and ended up finding a contractor that let me borrow him cut off wheel. Messed with it for 45 mins so that confirmed my desire for air. I would've been able to use a die grinder or chisel.

Brett

https://www.deere.com/en_US/product...ompressors/gasoline/ac2_30ghs/ac2_30ghs.page?

/ Gas air compressor #25  
Thats enough air to do most things... not sure what a big Jack Hammer needs?

Electric Start is a nice feature and Honda powered.

/ Gas air compressor #26  
Here is what I would buy for a truck tire compressor. These newer models have been around for many years and use the same Honda engine as the Deere compressor you listed. I would lean towards the IR T30 2475 model just because it is so popular. Most likely what the Deere compressor is copying. These IR compressors have been around for many years on tire company service trucks. I have the older model with the 11 hp. Kohler engine very satisfied with it and bought new in 1998.

Attachments

• 2475F13GH_692_600.jpg
    2475F13GH_692_600.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 68
   / Gas air compressor #27  
^^^What a ball park for this setup?

Is noise still a problem?

The new utility generators are so quiet they are hardly noticeable...

/ Gas air compressor #28  
Thats enough air to do most things... not sure what a big Jack Hammer needs?

Electric Start is a nice feature and Honda powered.

A 90 lb. jack hammer needs about 80 to 100 cfm, so these truck tire compressors are not even close to those capabilities. They will run the impacts for tire work with no problem.

Electric start is pretty standard on all of these models but most of them do not have a charging circuit for the battery.

/ Gas air compressor #29  
^^^What a ball park for this setup?

Is noise still a problem?

The new utility generators are so quiet they are hardly noticeable...

Cost is about $2500+ from just a quick look on the net. Noise, yes they are loud imo. When I bought mine in 1998 it was about $1600.

My Onan CMQD commercial genset is very quiet by comparison. The air compressor drowns out the genset for sure. The diesel genset with Kubota engine runs at 2800 rpm and is bullet proof. Both the genset and air compressor weigh about 400 lbs.+ each. The genset is well shielded to lower noise levels and these two units can share a battery without problems.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 62
   / Gas air compressor #30  
Thanks for the information...