Gas-Diesel engine swap question

/ Gas-Diesel engine swap question #42  
   / Gas-Diesel engine swap question #43  
a horse eats more volume.. but eats less variety.

a goat will eventually eat anything.. shrubs, weeds, briars.. etc. a horse will only eat the grass ( and roots of the grass ).. etc.

soundguy

/ Gas-Diesel engine swap question #44  

a goat will eventually eat anything.. shrubs, weeds, briars.. etc. a horse will only eat the grass ( and roots of the grass ).. etc.

soundguy

Buy both. I have three horses and I need to work out some pasture sharing with a goat guy. The horses will dig up the roots of their favorite plants while standing belly deep in their second favorite.

/ Gas-Diesel engine swap question
Now we're really getting into territory I do NOT want to get into. LOTS of folks here have horses, many full time working cattle ranches, and lots of just plain horse people, but everyone I talk to, talks me out of getting a horse. They all say it's basically a full time job. Besides, I have come to the conclusion, that for as big a critter as they are, they seem awful fragile, especially in the hooves. No thanks. Mowers are cheaper in the long run, and I can ride them too:D

/ Gas-Diesel engine swap question #46  
Mowers are cheaper in the long run, and I can ride them too:D

Find a mower on craigs list that has the same engine, runs good, but doesn't have a deck. You'll find one all day for $300 or less. Do the swap then scrap the old one. Or, if the deck fits, keep the new one and scrap yours.

My buddy just killed his 15 y/o Murry - he bought a used late-model Murry that looks absolutely new for $400.

JayC

/ Gas-Diesel engine swap question #47  

soundguy

My uncle has used horses to clear a field of thistles, they ate it all up. My horse loves to eat dandylions. And we have seen horses eating black berry bushes. If you put them in a field of grass and thistles, they will eat the grass down to a putting green height, then they will eat all the thistles. (canadian horses atleast, some horses are super picky)

/ Gas-Diesel engine swap question #48  
Now we're really getting into territory I do NOT want to get into. LOTS of folks here have horses, many full time working cattle ranches, and lots of just plain horse people, but everyone I talk to, talks me out of getting a horse. They all say it's basically a full time job. Besides, I have come to the conclusion, that for as big a critter as they are, they seem awful fragile, especially in the hooves. No thanks. Mowers are cheaper in the long run, and I can ride them too:D

No argument here. Horses are a lifestyle, not a purchase. I tried to get out of the horse thing for a while based on the theory that I don't have to feed a tractor when I'm not riding it. I just couldn't do it, though. Horses are too much of a part of who I am. I felt I owed it to my kids to give them the same opportunity to ride that I had as a kid. I fully believe that one of the best things for the inside of a kid is the outside of a horse.

There are a lot of free horses out there with hay prices as high as they are. Maybe instead of looking for a Murray lawn mower you should be looking for a New Holland swather. Then you can take advantage of the fools like me that can't seem to get rid of the horse bug.

Just think of the swather as a lawn mower except you only have to mow the lawn three times a year.

/ Gas-Diesel engine swap question #50  
My uncle has used horses to clear a field of thistles, they ate it all up. My horse loves to eat dandylions. And we have seen horses eating black berry bushes. If you put them in a field of grass and thistles, they will eat the grass down to a putting green height, then they will eat all the thistles. (canadian horses atleast, some horses are super picky)

it's like has already been said. horses, most of them have primary and tertiary nutrition desires.

put a horse in a pasture with some grass and alot of weeds, and the horse will eat all the grass and roots.. then get hungry.. THEN start on the next most palitable plant.

I have seen cows eat thorn bush leaves.. carefully picking them off and eating green young n tender briars.

it's all about what you have to eat.. etc.

soundguy