Gas-Diesel engine swap question

/ Gas-Diesel engine swap question #62  
that's alotta lawn for a rider mower.

neighbor next to me is well into his 3rd lawnmower in 11 ys mowing a 3ac lawn. and they wera / are not cheap mowers. all jd riders...

i'm still on my same near 15yr old murray since I only mow about 1/4 ac with it ( now.. used to mow more ), and let a tractor do the rest of my mowing.

Bah. 3 mowers in 11 years? Cheap or not, that sounds like somebody who would rather buy new than maintain *almost* new. OTOH, I've heard nothing good about box-store Deeres.

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead driving a rider that is anything less then 20 years old (preferably 30).

JayC
'87 Snapper LT16
'81 Ariens YT1138
'71 MTD 990

/ Gas-Diesel engine swap question #63  
i hear ya on the maintenance. i think he's about good for blowing the deck off and adding gas.

i find it comical though that I'm driving around a 15yr old economy 700$ mower.. which.. mind you.. runs great.. but the deck is gonna let go in a season or two.. i've already repaired ( not replaced ) 2 spindles.. and the tranny is showing signs that it wants to retire one day.

no slipping yet.. but.. feels less tight.

soundguy

/ Gas-Diesel engine swap question
Well, the Murray officially died. It hit a clump of grass about 10" tall and stalled twice trying to cut it.. very sad.

On the good not, a neighbor that lives 2 houses down the road (2 miles) and has been a real good neighbor. Loaned me all sorts of his big toys, like Case 580 backhoe, Kubota tractor, ride on ditch witch, etc. Well he had this old Craftsman 15hp rider sittin outside and said I could have it, if I would come down and help hi after he has a surgery. I would have come anyway, even without the mower, but I took him up on it. It needed some TLC, like a new battery, adjusting/lubing the blade engagement linkage, so it would actually DIS-engage. Added a discharge chute, otherwise It shoots the grass almost straight up.

It needs a new starter, but will start most of the time, cleaned it up and she runs like a top.

I can tell, though, there is a HUGE difference in torque between the twin 20hp and the one lung 15hp. Hopefully this will hold up a while.

I found a block that will work on the old engine, but cannot see the valve area, and they guy will not answer my emails, frustrating. I could rebuild this motor at my leisure. I gotta say, though, that I do like the hydro tranny on the little Craftsman mower. The Murray was a manual shift.

What do ya'll think, try to fix the Murray, or put it on Craigs list as a parts only sale and put the money towards new?

/ Gas-Diesel engine swap question #66  
I think sell the murry and keep using the craftsman until it dies, then get a new one.

/ Gas-Diesel engine swap question #67  
yep.. use the better of the 2

/ Gas-Diesel engine swap question
Well, maybe that's what i ought to do then. Thanks all, for the feedback.

/ Gas-Diesel engine swap question #69