GC1723eb / 1725mb reliability and parts cost?

/ GC1723eb / 1725mb reliability and parts cost? #1  

BurZ

Tractor
none
I'm curious how everyone feels about their GC1700 series tractors' reliability and parts cost?

I watched a video of someone with 500 hours and the backhoe mounts and pin holes were already loosened/rounded out beyond repair, and several other issues with the steel and frame components.

I've also read that some of the parts can be much more expensive than the competitors.

What are your thoughts? Anyone experience similar issues or other things a serious buyer should be aware of?

/ GC1723eb / 1725mb reliability and parts cost? #2  
If you're talking about Trespassing Into the Wild, that guy is very very rough on his equipment. He should have gotten a larger tractor for what he expects from his scut.

/ GC1723eb / 1725mb reliability and parts cost? #3  
I have a GC1720. Parts are expensive when you look at the dealer costs. For instance, the loader valve body, something a friend of mine has an issue with on his 1720 right now, costs over $800... For no good reason.

I'm not really sure why items are so expensive for the GC. I had to get a replacement tie rod end because my original one started to get sloppy. That dinky part is over a hundred bucks if I wasn't under warranty. My replacement fan was $40 but I got it under warranty. Hydraulic lines aren't really cheap, either.

I'm not really sure why, but things are expensive to replace on the SCUTs. Look at Kubota prices. John Deere will give you whiplash with some of their pricing. They all can be pricey.

I think so long as you find a good dealer, your warranty should protect you well enough. The most vulnerable user is one that puts only a few hours a year on their equipment and run out of time on the warranty. Before they know it, they have a low hour machine with niggling issues that cost real out if pocket money.

It's just like a car. Car parts are expensive if the only place you can get parts is a dealer. There are less items readily available from 3rd party part suppliers for these SCUTs so we're at the mercy of the dealer pricing. It sucks but that's life.

Luckily, most things on your tractor as re serviceable with just a moderate amount of mechanical ability

I would press upon the dealer to include the factory service manual and parts catalog for your tractor as a part of the purchase agreement. I did and it's been very helpful. Most of the items likely to cause you problems are quite simple to fix if you're out of warranty and willing to try. Lots of hydraulic shops can rebuild your cylinders or make you lines if needed. It's the highly specialized hard parts that tend to cost a lot. Luckily, most of those things tend to be rock solid reliable on these machines.

/ GC1723eb / 1725mb reliability and parts cost? #4  
Sold my 14’ GC1710 at approximately 600 hours no issues. Now have a 19’ GC1723, 352 hours, no issues.

/ GC1723eb / 1725mb reliability and parts cost? #5  
And there are many who have absolutely no issues. Like above.

/ GC1723eb / 1725mb reliability and parts cost? #6  
And I’ll add a couple things, the 1710 had a weep at the BH valve block when I sold it. The 1723 had the stuck fuel gauge and the loose BH dipper stick control. So a few minor issues.

I am not soft on my machines as they are used commercially, but I do take care of them in between the floggings.

/ GC1723eb / 1725mb reliability and parts cost? #7  
I can't tell you about reliability first hand, I will have mine for a year at the end of June, but I will be watching this conversation to see if there's more input from others.

What I can tell you is that since buying my tractor I have read more treads here on TBN than I can count about GCs and the following is my condensed version of all of it.

GCs have been around a long time. I've learned that a GC is a GC, they are basically all the same when it comes to the major stuff. Maybe not exactly, but you can look at any conversation about any GC to get an idea of the things people have issues with. They have the same engines and transmissions. The GC2600 is comparable to my GC1725M. So if you're looking at reliability you can go back a very long time on this forum and not find much in the way of big issues.

There have been some real issues, like the one about the control brackets on the backhoe: Backhoe - Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65) (I don't have a backhoe, but read it with interest anyway), but it seems that overall they do not have any more issues than other tractors considering that less people seem to own them then some other tractors, at least by reading and following TBN.

Most of what I've read I would personally consider minor, the kind of stuff I would expect would happen unless you leave your tractor parked i the barn and never use it. If you use a tractor things are eventually going to start to wear out

A lot of the issues I've read, major and minor, seem to be self inflicted wounds, stressing to me the need for proper maintenance. That goes for all brands and not just Masseys. It's simply amazing to how many people spend this kind of money on any tractor, expect it to last and then do things like never check the oil in the first 50 hours of operation or do any of the other routine checks.

As far as price of parts goes, the only things I've really had to by so far are filters. Yes, I use the OEM filters. They are a bit pricey, but not something I'm going to skimp on. I did have to buy a new fuel cap because I forgot to put it back on and drove over it and that cost me over nearly 50 bucks including the shipping. I'm willing to bet that prices are not much different than other brands.

Like @Nacademus says, we're all at the mercy of the dealer, it's not like car parts where you can easily get replacement parts without going to the dealer to get them. Yes, you can get aftermarket replacements for things like filters for some of the others, but I probably would not do that anyway, no matter what brand of tractor I owned.

One of the good things I find about the GCs is that they all use the same engine and transmission. Most of the major parts are all the same, unlike other makes that seem to use different ones in almsot every model. This was one of its selling points for me because it means it should be easier to get the parts if they are needed.

/ GC1723eb / 1725mb reliability and parts cost? #8  
I'm really glad I found this thread.
I just made a commitment to a GC1725M.
I have been reading and reading on used and have done no research on new.
I saw a nice used Kubota B with a loader that was listed at a dealership about an hour away for 8995. US
When I called about it, the sales person said the listing was incorrect, that he thought it actually was 10500.
I told him to talk to his boss and figure what they want for it. He texted me 15 minutes later - 11,895.
Frustrated after months of shopping and research, I emailed the local tractor company - the closest one - and asked: "what's your least expensive new tractor with a loader?" This local dealer said: "That would be the GC1725M".
I told him I'll take it. - it's funny, I'd been looking at JD, Kubota, and others, but didn't even think about MF.
Now I'm reading and watching YouTube videos and I think/hope I'm going to be happy with this purchase.

/ GC1723eb / 1725mb reliability and parts cost? #9  
I have a little over 100 hours, no issues so far except hose routing. Fixed that, added rear wheel spacers and a shield over the fan/hyd oil filter.
Have beat on the backhoe doing trenches and stump removal.
Moved tons of gravel and dirt (love my Piranha tooth bar)
Moved tons of wood rounds, and split wood.

just keep up with maintenance and all is well.
and tighten all the frame and other bolts after a few hours of use, I only had one loose on the FEL, but always worth checking. Grease everything often.

/ GC1723eb / 1725mb reliability and parts cost? #10  
Putting that on my list also.
Fill the tires for weight and space them out a little for stability.
Thanks