Gear or Chain Driven

/ Gear or Chain Driven
Do I need any type of clutch mechanism to run a tiller? The area I need to till is mostly decent topsoil with a little red clay mixed in. There is a possibility of tree roots on the outer portion but the possibility of rocks is slim. Thanks again!

/ Gear or Chain Driven #12  
Do I need any type of clutch mechanism to run a tiller? The area I need to till is mostly decent topsoil with a little red clay mixed in. There is a possibility of tree roots on the outer portion but the possibility of rocks is slim. Thanks again!

If there is room to fit one in the drive line, that's the way to go. Even a shear pin is better than nothing. That said, I have none in my driveline. I do have a PTO shaft with a slip clutch but it's just too long, it has the ratchet style clutch. The blade part of the tines on a Japanese tiller (Yanmar, Iseki, Mitsu, etc.) are curved backward and tend to ride up on and over an obstruction, so it's not so critical with these. A heavier North American style tiller has the L-shaped tine blades and they are not very forgiving....best to fit a slip clutch in with those.

/ Gear or Chain Driven #13  
Thanks California and Carey for the info & photo of the tiller top bracket.

I'm looking at getting an RS 1200 tiller from an importer, and they said they would include a drive shaft and tiller top bracket with it.

They were not so familiar with the 186D (that i have) but certainly are familiar with the 1510.

So, does anyone know if the specific PTO shaft and tiller top link for mounting the RS 1200 on a YM1510 would also fit correctly for mounting the tiller on a 186D?
(If so, it will be very easy for the importer to be sure he's including the right parts with the tiller).

Thanks loads.

That's it! The tiller isn't complete without that top link assembly, or the driveshaft. Thanks Carey! (I have a RS1400 tiller too - photo).

Everybody, watch out for ebay or roadside sellers who sell Japanese tillers without that top link.

Absent these components, all you've found is an incomplete project. The tiller may clear the tires on a larger tractor that has longer lift arms, but it can't be used on the intended size Japanese tractor without a lot of modification. People have posted here that they welded on new lift pins a few inches forward of the original ones, or like Flusher, put longer arms on the tractor to get the tiller away from the tires. It's easier if you set it up like Yanmar (or Mitsubishi etc) intended in the first place.

/ Gear or Chain Driven #14  
If it's the correct shaft and bracket for the tiller it should be good to go on any cat 1 tractor. The hookup has to match the implement, not the tractor.

/ Gear or Chain Driven #15  
I have over 100 of those pesky tiller bkts thrown on 3 pallets if anyone needs one, or two or ....:confused2:
They mostly fit ym 1610s 1710s 1810s 2010 2310s and all the f - fx s.

/ Gear or Chain Driven #16  
If it's the correct shaft and bracket for the tiller it should be good to go on any cat 1 tractor. The hookup has to match the implement, not the tractor.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I'm just asking in case the tiller were to come separately..

If it comes already mounted on a tractor, no problem. But otherwise he may have to know which kind of bracket (or shaft as well) to pick.

/ Gear or Chain Driven #17  
I'm 99% sure the tiller intended for YM1510 fits perfectly on YM186.

YM186 is a little beefier. The pins that hold the 3-point arms are part of a bolted-on assembly - see my photo below. I've seen pictures of YM1510 that show the hinge pins for its 3-point arms are screwed directly into the sides of the transmission.

The upper link bracket is bolted to both the back and to the top of the transmission housing. I don't know if YM1510 uses this same bracket.

Both tractors are built to the universal Cat 1 standard so the 1510's tiller should fit your YM186 fine.

You might sketch your top bracket, with measurements, and take that along to be sure the dealer's top link matches to it. I can't think of anything else that might be a problem.

Photo: YM186D 3-point details. Can someone with a YM1510 describe any difference they see?

P1530518rYM186D-pto.JPG

/ Gear or Chain Driven #18  
Ernie hold on to those special tiller top links! (Like in Carey's post above).

Every time some new tiller owner comes on here and says 'my Yanmar tiller hits my tires!"....... There's another sale!

Most Craigslist tillers are missing the special top link. And it's been a couple of years, but there was an ebay seller in Southern California who never had the link for the tillers he put on ebay. I asked him about several of his listings and it seemed he didn't care. He's out of business now. :p

/ Gear or Chain Driven #19  
Photo: YM186D 3-point details. Can someone with a YM1510 describe any difference they see?

Here is a picture of the back of a 1510.

Attachments

• Yanmar YM1510 00775 (16).JPG
    Yanmar YM1510 00775 (16).JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 370
   / Gear or Chain Driven #20  
Ernie hold on to those special tiller top links! (Like in Carey's post above).

Every time some new tiller owner comes on here and says 'my Yanmar tiller hits my tires!"....... There's another sale!

Most Craigslist tillers are missing the special top link. And it's been a couple of years, but there was an ebay seller in Southern California who never had the link for the tillers he put on ebay. I asked him about several of his listings and it seemed he didn't care. He's out of business now. :p

I also have some 1510 & 1401 tiller 2 point mount bkts, that im about ready to scrap out + about 30 or so miss matched pto shafts, most of them are the short ones.
A guy can only keep this stuff around so long, before his place starts to look like a junk pile:D

Not only that, I dont even sell 1510s 1401s or any small tractors anymore, Its been about 4 years now since I gave up on the widow makers !;)
Im more into the mid size YM and F FX yanmars ....

I had 1510 go over on me 4 yrs ago and I finally said ... no more....