Generator FAQ?

/ Generator FAQ? #11  
I bought the 7200w version of this last year for $499. I've used it all over our property and it hasn't missed a beat. For the money it was a very good deal. It will also be the generator that will power the house in the event of a power outage.

You need to match the transfer switch wattage rating to the generator's output rating - you usually wind up with a 6 or 10 circuit switch, depending on the wattage.

/ Generator FAQ? #12  
MrP,
I would add one small suggestion to the excellent advice you have already received - especially from Ed.

If you go with a portable gas generator get one with auto idle. I have a Makita generator with this feature. If there is no electrical load on the generator it idles down to conserve gas. Then when it senses a load it kicks up to the full output. If I plug a drill (yes I still own a corded drill) directly into it the engine just idles along. Pull the drill's trigger and the generator responds immediately. I notice no lag time in the drill's response.

Phil

/ Generator FAQ? #13  
I just started looking too. I really wanted to stay under $800. Figured I'd just run an extension cord into the house to run fridge, switch over to freezer once in a while, maybe run some lights or something. Periodically I would haul out to well and charge the tanks. I haven't really considered powering house. Our needs aren't that great and longest power was ever out was 1 day. But I don't mind being prepared. I thought deisel was a good idea, especially from a storage standpoint. But I can see where that won't be an option in the size and price range I'm looking at. Guess it's time to buy a larger gas can too.

/ Generator FAQ? #14  
here is a link for a propane/ nat. gas conversion carburator system for various gasoline generators. if you have a propane tank, you might be interested in a possible conversion as it would solve your fuel storage problem.

U.S. carburators http://www.propane-generators.com/

alex

/ Generator FAQ? #15  
Alex
I just purchased a Generac 7000 EXL. Have you used the conversion kit? Sounds good, but I have no knowledge about the subject /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Billy

/ Generator FAQ? #16  
no, i have not, the winco generator i have came with a propane/nat gas conversion installed. i guess there are two kinds of kits, a carb conversion, and a kind of gas mixer plate that mounts under to regular carb. so you can switch back and forth easily. i have emailed these folks and they are very helpfull.

alex

/ Generator FAQ? #17  
herbenus,
that is how i started with a coleman and an extension cord. as time went by i got a transfer panel installed, it allows pretty good flexability, and the generator is capable of running more than one thing at a time. so now the wife or my kids can hook up the generator if i am away, i keep it filled with gas, and keep a couple of cans full in the out building so they have a couple days of fuel . i also upsized to a generator that has electric start, so they dont have to worry about starting it by pull start. i charge the battery regularly and run the gas out of it every 3-6 months. change the oil once a year. that about it.

alex

/ Generator FAQ? #18  
I want to look into this "transfer panel" and other stuff. It seems like if you shut off your main breaker, and then just plug generator output into a wall outlet, that you'd be supplying electricity to just that circuit of the house. Don't think I'd try this but seems like it would work. Maybe that's the principal behind the transfer panel. I got to get me mere eeeducated on this. Till then, extension cord.

/ Generator FAQ? #19  
herbenus:

What you suggested will work, but it is illegal and a safety risk. If you were to accidentally reset the main breaker while the generator was still connected, you would backfeed power beyond your house. If some poor power company employee was on a pole trying to fix your blackout problem, he could be in for a deadly jolt provided by the generator. He is expecting the line to be dead as he does repairs. Also bear in mind that you can also backfeed a pole transformer which would boost the generator's 120/240 to over 8000 volts. NEC therefore has specific statements on this.

A transfer switch is basically an either-or switch 3 way switch. The house can be supplied by either the line or the generator, but there is no was that the generator can backfeed the incoming service. Usually they are quite expensive for a house service. There is also a mechanical interlock that is available. Square D makes a service panel with one. I also made my own. (I had a post on it. If I find it I will leave a link.) With these you can not have the main breaker on when the generator breaker is on. There is a mechanical lever to prevent it.

Also remember that your extension cord that you plug in to backfeed the house has the same risk (and illegal). You must shut off the main when you do that trick, and be careful.

paul

/ Generator FAQ? #20  
herbenus:

Check out This Link as an example of my mechanical interlock for a transfer switch.

paul