Generator FAQ?

/ Generator FAQ? #21  
I knew it wasn't a good idea. But I figured 1) that if main breaker was thrown it would probably somehow damage generator or something in house. and 2)that I risked that wiring coming from outlet I chose to hack generator into would not be large enough to handle current for all devices that might be on circuit. I didn't consider these other changes.

What I meant by using extension cord was to simply unplug freezer from wall and plug into good extension cord which is plugged into generator which is sitting outside the house.

Thanks for the heads up on safety aspect of above. I actually would not have done this myself, but maybe someone else here may have been tempted. I can hook up wiring okay but have not advanced much beyond that. My worst electrical crime right now is to run wiring in my metal barn without conduit. Code here actually requires conduit in metal buildings, but not wood garages. I'll fix this someday..

/ Generator FAQ? #22  
herbenus:

Just wanted to try to explain why transfer switches are used. I have seen quite a few people just backfeed the box, and not realize the risk to others. There are relatively cheap small transfer switches available that let you switch 6 or so individual circuits between the generator and the main box. It takes a bit of wiring but lets you run some key circuits like the freezer and well, for example. Saves hassle when you need the generator. You may want to look into one. As I said, a bit of wiring, but the purchase cost is low.

I also misunderstood you. I have seen several people make up an extension cord with two plugs to connect the generator to a dryer or stove outlet, to backfeed the whole house. I had guessed that was what you meant. That has the danger if you turn your main back on at the wrong time.

paul

/ Generator FAQ? #23  
Hi Phil, can you say where you bought the Makita generator? I am looking into that brand. Have you been happy with it. How much do they go for? Thanks.

I have heard the Makita is a rebadged Robin with a few changes and uses the Robin engines. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Generator FAQ? #25  
WDN,
I brought my Makita at Benson's Hardware in Londonderry, NH. My house has a detached garage. The furnace is over there and the hot water pipes come over to the house in a pipe chase under an elevated deck. So a generator was a necessity.
Unfortunately I was trying to buy one in the summer of 99 amid the Y2K fears. So supply then was limited. I found the Makita to be better than the Coleman type but not as good nor as expensive as the Hondas. Northern tool had a whole catolog devoted to generators but couldn't give me a delivery date.

I have the G6100R rated at 5.8KW. It was $1600 with a free set of wheels because the salesman liked my wife. I have never had to use it for a power outage. I run it once a month. Always starts right up w/in 3 pulls. I use Sta-bil in my gas. In the spring I use the 12V DC outputs to charge my garden tractor battery.

I went out to the garage and gave it a look-over. There is no sign that the engine is a Robin. But in the owners manual they show it to be a Robin EH34D engine.

Phil

/ Generator FAQ? #26  
Thanks I am thinking about how much generator I need to buy. The house has a 10 circuit 7,500 watt Gen Tran swich. Thanks for the info