Generator Transfer switch connection choices

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #101  
But can you quantify "tons" in terms of dollars?
I'm also in Northern Virginia. To hook up my generator to the house with a transfer switch requires inspection, electrician, possibly a new panel. I've lived here since 1975. I've had 2 major power outages in that time. I've had a generator for the house since 2003 after Hurricane Irma (the second major power outage). The generator has been run once for a power outage that lasted about 6 to 8 hours during the heat of the summer and I wanted to make sure a freezer full of meat did not thaw and fired it up after 6 hours. It was about time to run the generator anyways. So I fired it up drug the extension cords and when the freezer and frig finished cooling down (maybe 20 minutes) turned it off.
I used to test it about quarterly with a load, but that has gotten down to annually.
So to spend hundreds of dollars for a "proper hookup" may not make sense to a lot of people.

That depends on what you need to run. Around here i need power for water and heat. So back feed or a proper transfer switch is needed to get electric to those items. If all you need to do is run extension cords for the freezer that is another matter all together and I would not likely put in a transfer switch or other proper hook up for that. I would just run the extension cords.

In the 3.5 years we have owned the property we have lost power one time for 12 hours. We have lost it a couple other times for short periods of like an hour or two. So only once that we actually fired up the generator. However we have horses so we need water no matter what.

If we were having more regular outages I would likely think about another back up to the back up.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #102  
But can you quantify "tons" in terms of dollars?
I'm also in Northern Virginia. To hook up my generator to the house with a transfer switch requires inspection, electrician, possibly a new panel. I've lived here since 1975. I've had 2 major power outages in that time. I've had a generator for the house since 2003 after Hurricane Irma (the second major power outage). The generator has been run once for a power outage that lasted about 6 to 8 hours during the heat of the summer and I wanted to make sure a freezer full of meat did not thaw and fired it up after 6 hours. It was about time to run the generator anyways. So I fired it up drug the extension cords and when the freezer and frig finished cooling down (maybe 20 minutes) turned it off.
I used to test it about quarterly with a load, but that has gotten down to annually.
So to spend hundreds of dollars for a "proper hookup" may not make sense to a lot of people.

To spend thousands of dollars on a generator and all associated costs for hookup, operation, service, etc... to save several hundred dollars worth of meat doesn't make financial sense, either. The cost savings payback isn't there.

We like the convenience. Some have generators for health reasons. Some just like to be comfortable, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. But for most people, including myself, it truly isn't necessary, just very, very nice to have.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #103  
I may not call it a necessity but it's not far from it.
When I loose power in the summer, it's freezers, water to drink and flush with, and comfort.
In the winter it is a tad bit different depending on the severity of the weather and the length of the outage.
Yes I can let pipes freeze, food go bad, have to go else where to live for a few days or so
and work with my insurance company on damage repairs. But I would rather be responsible for me and mine,
have my heat, lights, comfort, water and safety and possibly help my neighbors out a bit.
During one particularly long outage my generator was moved too two different houses besides mine
and used to get them warmed up, water run an heated, freezers run.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #104  
Hardly as good a feeling in the whole world as to be able to help yourself in adverse conditions.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #105  
we had 2 years of 3+ days without power... and always during the coldest part of winter. The last time since i had my house on permanent standby, i loaned out my 6500 watt portable to the neighbor. I installed a interlock in his panel, as i had them in stock and ran a plug to outside wall. This summer im going to install a 3 year old 20KW whole house for him. he couldnt resist the price .... it was a lightning damaged unit that i got up and running. for a few hundred bucks in cost for repair parts, im giving him the unit with transfer switch. His house is a real easy install as its unfinished garage., and propane company will handle gas install.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #106  
I just have two regular looking panels. One much smaller. I have two switches I have to flip. Built in such a way only one can be on at a time. Easy enough for SWMBO to operate and not be worried about electrocuting anyone. B

Not commenting on a power source selector....just the power company service alone, where it enters the service entrance box.
Canada Standards Assn. service entrance box requirements are DIFFERENT than UL/US.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices
Howdy,

Another product has come out for connecting a generator. From the same company which does the Generlink.

Global EZ-Connect.

Global ez-connect.jpg

It looks to be a straight forward 3 position transfer switch. Made with a generator connection on the side of the unit.

/ Generator Transfer switch connection choices #108  
Here are some pics of the 35kva, Perkins, mecc-alte, with deep 7220 controller, generac 200 try switch, set and test ran it today

Attachments

• IMG_1554.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1550.JPG
    IMG_1550.JPG
    917.9 KB · Views: 91
  • gen.jpg
    gen.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 86
  • AUX-PWR.jpg
    AUX-PWR.jpg