Getting back into hay

/ Getting back into hay #21  
Yes sir grease gun gets regular use. M previous JD 467 baler(twine only) had 30,000 bales on monitor when I traded for present baler in 2007. Nothing aggravated me more back when I was buying/selling hay was for someone to advertise 4X5 rd bales that on inspection weren't even close to 60 INCHES TALL. My making 66'' tall bales accentuates my thinking because smaller diameter rd bales resemble doughnut holes in my mind. LOL
Interestingly, my new Kubota round baler, on the set bale diameter, I can go up to 70". I asked the Kubota rep about that and he cautioned me about exceeding 60" rounds. He said that it could cause belt failure. Least it makes an honest 60, I measured them.

/ Getting back into hay #22  
My JD baler was built to make up to 72'' diameter bales. 99% + of the bales it has made is 64''-66''. I prefer that size because of less bales to transport & they double stack 2 high on a trailer

/ Getting back into hay #23  
My JD baler was built to make up to 72'' diameter bales. 99% + of the bales it has made is 64''-66''. I prefer that size because of less bales to transport & they double stack 2 high on a trailer
Most people around here have gone to the 54" rolls due to the fact that they can ultimately get 26 rolls on a 30' or 32' gooseneck and a lot of these people are nothing more than middle men in the hay business, I had a guy that would come to the barn I would load him and he would haul the hay to someone he had already sold it to down South of me and he made $25.00 per roll just to haul it or $650.00 a trailer load, never put his hands on it other than to strap it down, I always thought that would be the hay business for me to be in.:):):):)

/ Getting back into hay #24  
If you take just one cutting and bush hog the second than you don't need any fertilizer.
It seems like that would be hard on alfalfa.

/ Getting back into hay #26  
I load mine on 48 foot flat bed semi trailers, 2 high and they come in just shy of 13'6" double rowed double stacked I can get almost 50 on a trailer. My customer will spot one or 2 semi trailers on the edge of the field so I can load them. He don't broker any of it, he feeds it all out. Matter of fact I said to him maybe he wanted his BIL to haul some and he said hell no because he'd take them home for his stock.

/ Getting back into hay #27  
I load mine on 48 foot flat bed semi trailers, 2 high and they come in just shy of 13'6" double rowed double stacked I can get almost 50 on a trailer.
I'll have to burst your bubble BUT to SAFELY TRANSPORT ""40 rd bales 5ft in diameter on a 48' semi-trailer"" one needs pipes with cables so top bales can set securely held in place by the cables with top layer rd bales setting on rounded top of bottom bales not in the crevices between the bales. 10 -5' bales per side(50 FEET) X 2=20 bales on bottom layer & 20 bales on 2nd layer = 40(forty) bales not almost 50.

Back when I was employed by a dealer several trucks a week passed where I was employed hauling ""40 rd bales"" secured by pipes/cables & straps

Last edited:
   / Getting back into hay #28  
I'll have to burst your bubble BUT to SAFELY TRANSPORT ""40 rd bales 5ft in diameter on a 48' semi-trailer"" one needs pipes with cables so top bales can set securely held in place by the cables with top layer rd bales setting on rounded top of bottom bales not in the crevices between the bales. 10 -5' bales per side(50 FEET) X 2=20 bales on bottom layer & 20 bales on 2nd layer = 40(forty) bales not almost 50.

Back when I was employed by a dealer several trucks a week passed where I was employed hauling ""40 rd bales"" secured by pipes/cables & straps
Not my bubble at all. My customer straps every double stack or should I say one of his employees does I don't touch them, just load the trailers. I stated 50 because it's been a year since I loaded then and being 73, I tend to forget exact details, but I will find out shortly as they will haul this weekend. 2 48 foot flatbed's are presently set ready to load.

Have not used not used my Gooseneck trailer for years now. With fuel prices where they are, I have no issue with that at all.

/ Getting back into hay #29  
I'll add, they stack in the crotch between the lower rounds, never on top. Sure am glad I don't have to wind those dolly legs when they are loaded either.

/ Getting back into hay #30  
Do the math even 46 bales is impossible to haul on a 48 ft trailer without bed extensions frt & rear which ultimately makes bed longer than 48 feet. Top bales placed in depressions between bottom bales on a 48 ft trailer should tally out @ 38 rd bales per load

This isn't my 1st RODEO when it comes to hauling hay & farm equipment.
Age of 73 should not be a problem. I'm 77.