Getting on/off tractor from wheelchair

/ Getting on/off tractor from wheelchair #1  

snoiger01

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
Been awhile since I've been on TBN, but here's the story. I've been in a wheelchair since I was a kid, no big deal really. I have a JD 2305 that up until this past spring I had no problem lifting myself up into the seat using the fender handle and the front end loader arm as grab holds. I had back surgery last March that left me a whole lot weaker and a few pounds heavier. Due to the type of surgery and age creeping up on me, I am unable to hoist myself up there anymore. I am in desperate need of some seat time, as watching my wife plow our garden this week just about killed me.
I'm thinking of a ramp and platform that would put me about even with the seat height that I could park the tractor next to, then slide over from the chair. Not sure if this will work due to the fender and tight space between steering console and fender. The folks here on TBN are so creative, I thought I would run it by you and see if you guys have any ideas or suggestions?

/ Getting on/off tractor from wheelchair #2  
Been awhile since I've been on TBN, but here's the story. I've been in a wheelchair since I was a kid, no big deal really. I have a JD 2305 that up until this past spring I had no problem lifting myself up into the seat using the fender handle and the front end loader arm as grab holds. I had back surgery last March that left me a whole lot weaker and a few pounds heavier. Due to the type of surgery and age creeping up on me, I am unable to hoist myself up there anymore. I am in desperate need of some seat time, as watching my wife plow our garden this week just about killed me.
I'm thinking of a ramp and platform that would put me about even with the seat height that I could park the tractor next to, then slide over from the chair. Not sure if this will work due to the fender and tight space between steering console and fender. The folks here on TBN are so creative, I thought I would run it by you and see if you guys have any ideas or suggestions?

Have you seen the Handi-move lifts? They use an overhead track system and lifter arms. You would need to have the tractor under roof. Instillation of the tracks would be easier with open rafters, in something like a pole barn. Wonder if you could use hydrolics from the tractor, instead of electricity...? Maybe the hydrolics could be used for some sort of pump that pushes a stair climber type of seat up next to the tractor seat, where you could transfer. Then fold down the lifter seat. Good luck!

/ Getting on/off tractor from wheelchair #3  
A local lad who works with his grand dad as a dozer operator was in a bad accident and now will never walk again but is still an artist when running the dozer. They dig a hole at their job site and drive the dozer into it. The lad then transfers to the dozer with reasonable ease. When the job is over they fill the hole. Looks funny when they knock off for the night and the dozer is in the hole.

So, in your situation how could we make your transfer easier? I vote for a ramp that takes you to the height that would make transfer the easiest.

A bosun's chair sort of arrangement with overhead winch and lateral travel equal or slightly more than 1/2 the width of your tractor might be worth a thought. I designed a similar system for a friend whose mother needed help handling his father who needed wheelchair to go from recliner with lift to bed room/bed.

We used a small manual winch but removed the handle and used a cordless drill to provide the winching power. Sounds Rube Goldberg but it worked fine. His dad was a pretty big guy, nearly 300 lbs.

I haven't tried the county extension agent yet but there may be a tried and tested transfer method/equipment. USDA has plans for everything else. A guy about 3/4 mile from me is a wheelchair dude who goes deer hunting and turkey hunting etc. and has a tractor adapted for all hand controls. He is super strong in upper body and climbs the tractor like a monkey.

As many wheelchair guys as there are who use tractors, surely someone has mechanized the transfer.

Pat

/ Getting on/off tractor from wheelchair #5  
I've got friends who use wheelchairs and like the lifts they use in medical establishments - basically a bosun's chair and electric winch on a light metal rolling crane. I imagine one of those would be easy to modify to an overhead beam or even a 2 by 6 home built shop crane outside. The benefit is that it would work with any tractor.

You might also call some folks in occupational therapy - I imagine you've already worked with them - for ideas. My son got them to rig some stuff for him when he was laid up for a long time.

/ Getting on/off tractor from wheelchair #7  
I was almost paralyzed in the distant past. A lot of things go thru a mans head during those times. Mine was temporary but a lot of those thoughts still mill about my head from time to time. More on the lines of what am I to do when I get old!

Its' going to come down to what is available to you as far as hardware and what can you afford to buy. Look around, is there a gantry crane? Is there a bunch of wood? Is there a soul to implement your ideas? Maybe you have an engine hoist? Not tall enough? Just extend the thing!

How about simple? How about a portable lightweight gantry crane, now either a pneumatic or electric winch and the obvious, a bousons type of chair.

Or an I beam w/ a dolly and same winch set up? How about an IBeam that runs parrallel to the tractor, you load from the front because of the rops. Up you go, you have arms that work right? You go up, you roll yourself by grabbing the Ibeam and simply pulling, rolling the trolly, now your over the seat and hit the down button. Putt away...

This is not rocket science. ya gotta make a plan, and stick to the plan till success.

Ebay, Craigslist, Govliquidation just to name a few. Find the parts and get to the gettin.

HERE are a bunch of tools to do the jobs. Are they rated for people moving, TELL THOSE IDIOTS TO GO AWAY and make it so. SO what. Are you rich? nope.

WAIT! I just went looking for a picture and I saw this. Up swing over and down. I like this set up. It easy not hard to build. A wall or a floor JIB.

Here ya go!

hc-jd.jpg

/ Getting on/off tractor from wheelchair #8  
If you need something to lift you to be level with the tractor, I would look at a used dock lift such as: Vestil Scissor Dock Lift — Electric/Hydraulic, 5000-lb. Capacity, 96in.L x 72in.W Platform, Model# WL-100-5-68 | Dock Levelers + Dock Lifts | Northern Tool + Equipment
If you set it up with multiple remote controls, you could have one hanging at tractor height, one on the platform and one at ground height... Then even if someone lowered it, you could get the lift to where you needed it.

Aaron Z

/ Getting on/off tractor from wheelchair #9  
Is your wheel chair motorized? And or are you strong enough to go up an incline? If so could you not build a U-shape loading dock that you back your tractor into. The ramps could go up each side with a level deck at the back to help you load small things onto your tractor from the rear - thinking work gloves or tools etc. or anything else you may want. I am thinking a step and level table for mine when I fill the tank. It sure is a pain hiking up on the tire with a can of fuel trying to balance while you fill it.

Hopefully we can all figure this out for you.

Cheers.

Lloyd

/ Getting on/off tractor from wheelchair #10  
Perhaps a motorcycle lift would give you a large enough platform to transfer from and would be adjustable for other uses as well. They are available for use with different power sources from twelve volt hydraulic pumps to air over hydraulic pumps. That would give you options to use it almost anywhere you have stable enough ground to support the lift.