Getting Unstuck from the Mud

/ Getting Unstuck from the Mud #31  
By a better tractor that doesn’t get stuck so easy!!

/ Getting Unstuck from the Mud #32  
my biggest suggestion would be this, be sure anything you pull on if it comes off or breaks will not become a projectile, people have been killed, mamed and equipment damaged seriously by the end of a log chain, end of a cable, clevis, it only takes one time so be very careful - I have had them break but thank goodness my father/grandfather and farmers I worked for were cautious - its scary when something breaks when you are that stuck with large heavy equipment - everyone be safe!!!

/ Getting Unstuck from the Mud #33  
Lol when we were newbie tractor owners I got good and.... delayed. SWMBO was pretty made because she warned me about going out and doing the work I was doing.... that I would get stuck. Thankfully through this site and You Tube videos I learned to use the bucket and it's curl to lift and push me out of my situation. Have used that trick on several occasions since.

People ask us what kind of farm we have.... I tell them MUD. We have a MUD farm. Lots of clay in our soil out here.

/ Getting Unstuck from the Mud #34  
Remember: there痴 stuck, then there痴 Army stuck....
Yeah. I wish I had pictures but about 2011? I was trying to get a maple tree out of my yard.

g3intree_second-limb.jpg

I was digging around the stump with my B7610 and the mud was bad. The front end slipped and caught both wheels between 2 large roots under about a foot of mud. The wheels were like in a bear trap. Had to cobble together a platform to put a farmjack on and lift it vertical. And then make a platform so I could back it out.

I don't go in mud anymore.

/ Getting Unstuck from the Mud
By a better tractor that doesn’t get stuck so easy!!

LOL it was actually really hard to get it stuck, I am working on a "making of" showing how much I had to work to get it stuck!

my biggest suggestion would be this, be sure anything you pull on if it comes off or breaks will not become a projectile, people have been killed, mamed and equipment damaged seriously by the end of a log chain, end of a cable, clevis, it only takes one time so be very careful - I have had them break but thank goodness my father/grandfather and farmers I worked for were cautious - its scary when something breaks when you are that stuck with large heavy equipment - everyone be safe!!!

We had the same concerns when winching with the truck. we put an old Carrhart jacket on the line to weight it down. the good part about cable, is it tends not to have a ton of built up energy like rope does, with the addition of weight of the jacket, it causes it to drop to the ground, killing most of the potential energy it has. It a common off-roader thing to do.

/ Getting Unstuck from the Mud #37  
Remember: there痴 stuck, then there痴 Army stuck....

Reminds me...once upon a time while in the USAF I was doing a survey in the Everglades and we had an old D6 with a cable raised blade clearing the way for us. We took a break for lunch where the skeeters weren't too bad and when we headed back to work the last we saw of the dozer was the roll cage and the exhaust pipe...they left it running and the swamp ate it. Glad I didn't need to explain where it went to the colonel.

when we headed back to work the last we saw of the dozer was the roll cage and the exhaust pipe...they left it running and the swamp ate it.

Do they think the vibrations from the engine cause the swamp to swallow it? or was it something like quicksand reminiscent of the old cartoons?

/ Getting Unstuck from the Mud #39  
Maybe both...can't say for sure but there was a lot of really soft spots along that road that we had to bypass to get a solid base. May have eaten the road by now...that was in 1968. This was before the big sink hole problem that developed in Fla.

/ Getting Unstuck from the Mud #40  
I have never owned anythings with R4s. Are they really that crappy in the mud or just worn out?

I have a big cylinder with about a 4 foot stroke. Shackles at each end. That will rip your house off it's foundation if you have a good enough spot to tie it to. Albeit, four feet, minus chain tension, at a time.