give up country life for city life

/ give up country life for city life #11  
I live where I can find a good job. Lived in Philadelphia, Milwaukee, and Seattle and now in a semi-rural area. I much prefer the "country", but my job decides where I live. I just try to find work that allows me to be in the Country.
Bob

/ give up country life for city life #12  
scesnick said:
I love every single minute of living up on my mountain. I leave the keys in my car all the time. I don't lock the house doors at night. My kids play in the yard without me worrying someone will harm them. My dogs don't even know what a leash is. and best of all I can pee off my porch naked in the middle of the day if i want to !! not that I have ever done that . ;)

You can have the city, I will take the "hillbilly" life anyday.

That pretty much says it all :) You can keep the stinkin city, nothin there for me ;) :)

/ give up country life for city life #13  
You can have bad service people in the city, and good ones in the country, I have seen both.

I traveled to NYC recently for work, while it's an interesting place with lots to do, I am always glad to be back on the plane heading home when I;m done.

/ give up country life for city life #14  
scott_vt said:
You can keep the stinkin city, nothin there for me ;) :)

Ditto here! Grew up in the real big city, Los Angeles, moved to the hills right out of college (which was right out of high school) ... now dinky towns are too big to stay longer than for getting gas :cool:

/ give up country life for city life #15  
I may think about it in my next life, but not in this one.....

/ give up country life for city life #16  
im in the process of moving from my home in the city of st louis (yes in the actuall city) to rural IL. Im surronded by corn and bean feilds (looks like they are planing winter weat the past couple of weeks).

Im 15-20 min from anything. Walmart, lowes, home depot, TSC, walgreens, sams, movie theaters, malls. etc. The cloeset small town has a hardware store, lumber yard, grocery store, 2 gas stations, a bank (with 24hr ATM) and is were my wife works. For 90% of the stuff we need on a daily basis its 5 min away (bout the same as living in the city)

i guess being so close to a huge metroplitan area means we have plenty of qualified people serviceing our area.

not that im fed up with city life, i just like the country life more....

and I have a choice!

/ give up country life for city life #17  
Like most of the others responding here, we would not consider moving into a city. While I was working we bought a place about 20 miles out of Phoenix. Had the advantages of city shopping without all the city hassles. By the time retirement time came, the city had pretty much moved in around us, so we moved again, this time to a much more remote area.
It is probably fortunate for our daughter that she is happy living in the city. There are fewer places to live within easy commuting distance of work in the area.
I wish more people would move back into the city. It would make life more pleasant for those of us who stay.

/ give up country life for city life #18  
We now live on 45 acres just adjoining a small town that is so much like MAYBERRY it's unreal. We have all the advantages of city utilities and services, but without traffic, crime, noise, prices, gunfire, sirens, smog, flying "middle digits", and lack of privacy.

We live on 45 acres adjoining a small town just east of Siler City. :D:eek: A few weeks back a man went through town picking up rocks and throwing them through storefront windows. Barney caught him hiding in the bushes and Ernest T Bass Jr is now in jail. :D

I drive long miles to get to and from work. But my time driving is the same or less since I hit less traffic. Its a pain to get my kid to school since she goes to a charter school. If she went to the local school she would be 2-3 miles from home. The school issue is the worst part about us being in the country but we like the school she goes too. What is funny is that the Charter school has multiple grades in one class room. So for instance the first, second, and third grades are in one room. So while the school is in the city is more like the old county school. :D

Other than the school issue we have no problems living in the country. We don't go to movies. We used to eat out a lot but with kids that has stopped. The wifey has a client that wants to open a really nice resteraunt it town which is really needed. We have good burger and pizza places but nothing else. A new food coop just opened and they have the foods that we used to have to go to the "city" to get. They even sell Sushi. :D

The wife and I really can't see ever moving to a city again. We may have too but we won't want too.

I'm really afraid the city is going to move to us.

Later,
Dan

/ give up country life for city life #19  
For me it is not possible to be too far from any city. But Toby Keith said it best:
"I live out on the backroads
Where I walk my country mile
And if it’s so good in the city
Why don’t anybody smile?
The traffic’s always heavy
And the air ain’t fit to breathe
I ain’t saying that it’s wrong for you
It just don’t make sense to me"
:D