give up country life for city life

/ give up country life for city life #21  
I work in the city...kinda have to if I want to work on large commercial aircraft.
I live in the country and will not go back for nothin.

/ give up country life for city life #22  
I live about 30 miles to a large city, their are only 4 houses within a square mile of my place. I consider it "country living" but at the same time I dont feel like their is not an oppurtunity to get the conviences of the city.

One day while going to a garge sale with my wife I was waiting in the car wiating for my wife. I was talking to a guy who had 500+ acres for 30 some years and moved into town on a half acre lot.. I asked him why and said he could be closer to his grandkids.I aksed him how he is liking it and he says its not to bad, but he did not miss all the work involved with land ownership.

/ give up country life for city life #23  
I grew up in Miami, neighborhood homes(1200sq ft) on 1/4ac of land in the city.. Everything was less than 2mi away.. I didnt know any different..

Today, I live in the country I guess.. On 2ac with 12 vacant acres behind me.. Deer in the yard every day, 15+mi away from the nearset WalMart and 65mi away from work.. I drive through Atlanta traffic every day for work and wouldnt move closer for anything.. I have a great job now but would much sooner quit my job than move back to the city... Honestly, the only thing keeping me where I am, and not further out, is the school system.. My son is 11 and doing well in school. The next county down from us has much better land prices and is more attractive for country living, but the schools are terrible.. So, I'll be here untill he graduates, at least.. After that, I may have a longer drive to work, but I'm not going back to the city..

/ give up country life for city life #24  
mechanic said:
I was just wondering how many would give up the life in the country to move to the city for the convenience of jobs, shoping, and things to do like go the movies. I've experienced boredom and even the unqualified service people that you get by living the small life. People make a living or try even if they don't have the experience to do service on your home. The city might have a recourse to get people like this. Try suing when you don't have a company to sue

I would move out further than I am if I were ever to move,I would like to live where my nearest neighbor was at least 2 or 3 miles away and if the nearest town was 50 miles away that would be fine with me.There is NO way I would ever live in town especially a big town/city.

/ give up country life for city life #25  
I live in country and drive 56 miles one way to work. I only work 15 days a month so that's nice. Growing up as a kid it was a 30 to 45 min drive to anywhere. Takes me an hour and 10 min. to get to work. My daughter graduated from college and moved back home for about two months. She got a job working for same co. as me, 40 hrs week, straight days. She didn't like the length of the drive, moved 30 miles closer to work, and it still takes her the same amount of time to get there. She fights I30 Dallas traffic daily.

/ give up country life for city life #26  
HGM said:
Today, I live in the country I guess.. On 2ac with 12 vacant acres behind me..

See if you can buy the 12 acres.
Bob

/ give up country life for city life #27  
roxynoodle said:
I grew up in the city (Cleveland Ohio) and I'll never go back. But, I'm only about 30 minutes from Toledo and can go to the city whenever I want. Our utilities are considerably cheaper in the country. The only advantages I could see to living in the city are roads that get plowed in the winter and city water.

O yeah Cleveland, Ohio, Lake Erie, and Walleye! :D You have my attention now....

But I'll still take the rural living any-day, over the big city.

/ give up country life for city life #28  
We live 10 miles out of a town of 6,000 or so, county only has 21,000 and is 3rd largest as far as area in MS. Sometimes I still think we're crowded on 38 acres. Wouldn't move to the big city at gunpoint. Green acres is the place to be.

/ give up country life for city life #29  
Doc_Bob said:
See if you can buy the 12 acres.
Bob

Yea, man I would love to.. The problem is that the 5ac directly behind me is very possibly for sale if I were to persue it, but at $16k per acre:eek: now its a bit out of my reach right now.... I've found that vacant land financing is difficult to get also, requiring 20% down and max of 15yr financing terms.. The payments would be abough the same as my curent mortgage... Always a dollar short or a day late it seems in my case... Great advise though, thanks:D ..

/ give up country life for city life #30  
Rual living is great my wife and I will only move back when age catches up with us.
The thing that all should be on the look out for is how close are you to a land grabbing city. We where just happy as can be when when low and behold here they come and the lies that are told are amazing and this is from people you know but when they get on city council look out. Power cause humans to do crazy things all under " this is the best for you" we know it is so shut up.
I do not have a answer only shake my head in wonder.