GM 5.3 gas mileage

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #11  
my 2000 yukon, with 5.3, and I believe 3.73 rear and auto trans gets about 14mpg, and only uses about 2qts of engine oil per 3000 miles... since new.. and gm says that's normal :(

no leaks either..

soundguy

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #12  
*****'s new mileage goal for light trucks in 2020 is 51 MPG. LOL

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #13  
*****'s new mileage goal for light trucks in 2020 is 51 MPG. LOL

in 30+ years we have managed to increase 1/2-ton truck MPG 0

How are we going to get to 51mpg in 9 short years:confused2:

I have said before and I'll say it again:

Why dont a mfg come out with a 3.5-4 liter small diesel for these 1/2 tons???

If we can get ~20mpg or better out of diesels twice the size, with 350HP and 750 ft-lbs, lets scale it down a bit. Say...a 4.0L diesel @ ~225HP/475ft-lbs that would get 30mpg+ in a half ton. And it would tow better than the 380HP gassers we have now:thumbsup: I for one would be willing to pay a good bit extra for a 30MPG diesel vs a 15-16MPG gasser.

15mpg gas @ 3.50 per gallon over 100k miles = $23k
30mpg diesel @ $4...."........."......."........"....=$13K

$10k savings in the first 100k miles:thumbsup: I'd jump on board:thumbsup:

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #14  
Don't feel bad about your GM none of the new trucks from anyone do well from what I hear some are even worse the Titan or Hemi comes to mind.

IE my 02 Tundra 4.7 v8 4wd gets 15 not loaded and with quite a bit of tailwind if I am lucky and about 10-11 in town.

It will pull a house and rides like a car runs like hot rod but it sure loves gas $80-90 fill ups not uncommon right now.

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #15  
You realize that the gas you are using is now 85% gas and 15% after shave, right? Try putting 40 - 45 psi in the tires and watch the motor switch to 4 cyl mode. Then try to keep it there. There's quite a bit of mileage loss because of the way people accelerate and brake. Pretend there is an egg on the gas pedal and the brake pedal has been sawed off. Then you can get near 20 mpg.

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #16  
Soundguy said:
my 2000 yukon, with 5.3, and I believe 3.73 rear and auto trans gets about 14mpg, and only uses about 2qts of engine oil per 3000 miles... since new.. and gm says that's normal :(

no leaks either..

soundguy

My 04 5.3 uses .500ml in 4,200 miles.@ 142000 miles. Seems to be a hit and miss situation.

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #17  
speaking of fuel economy.. i hear ford has come out with some small 3.7 or something twin turbo gasser called an eco edge or somthing to that effect. suposed to be a decent pulling truck. havn't seen one.. just heard the hype froma salesman trying to sell me one while I was looking for a trusty 7.3 psd on his lot.

a diesel for a half ton would be nice...

soundguy

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #18  
This seems to be the only continent on the planet that small diesels aren't in everything from little kiddy cars to 2 ton trucks.

Toyota has been putting them in their small trucks for 30 years but you cant get one here dumb.

I second the small diesel notion I would have one in a heart beat in a half ton I am in no big hurry anymore to get anywhere money is getting tighter as well.

Go figure we have some of the strictest emissions and use the biggest least fuel efficient engines dumb. :laughing:

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #19  
Soundguy said:
speaking of fuel economy.. i hear ford has come out with some small 3.7 or something twin turbo gasser called an eco edge or somthing to that effect. suposed to be a decent pulling truck. havn't seen one.. just heard the hype froma salesman trying to sell me one while I was looking for a trusty 7.3 psd on his lot.

a diesel for a half ton would be nice...

soundguy

Ecoboost - Direct injected twin turbo gasser.

I would love a 4.5L Babymax 1500.

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #20  
I'm sure that oil companies and crooked politicians have nothing to do with the lack of MPG increases in the last 30 or so years. Too many people have their hands in it, and they are making too much money to care about changing things.

I'll bet MPG could be at least doubled RIGHT NOW if all the corruption surrounding oil didn't exist. Of course if the mileage of vehicles doubled, the crooks would just double the price of fuel.

I'd also like so see a smaller diesel 1/2 ton truck, that's a good idea.